2nd monitor has started screen tearing.

Jupescj92

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
Hi there!

I've been using a dual monitor set-up for a year now and suddenly the 2nd monitor has started tearing. A line slowly moves up the screen and everything below it jitters, when it reaches the top, it starts over.

My PC specs:

Processor: Intel i7-4790k 4Ghz
GPU: Radeon R9 270X
MoBo: ASUS Z97-A
Wireless card: 802.11n Tenda Wireless LAN card
RAM: 16gb DDR3
Displays: 1. 22" Acer LCD 60hz 223W 2. Generic 20" Alba 1080p Plasma TV

The first monitor is connected with a DVI cable and the 2nd through a HDMI.

Steps I've tried:
Changing refresh rates and screen resolution on 2nd monitor.
Updating GPU drivers
Checking for Windows updates
Disabling Vsync in global settings

I don't have a second HDMI cable to test but when I swapped over which was the primary and secondary monitors and screen tearing started happening on the Acer.

Hope I've provided enough information to get some help, if you need anymore just ask. Any input will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Edit: opening up overwatch fullscreen on 1st monitor seems to fix the problem but the tearing comes back when closed

Solution
So I know this is late, but I have the exact same problem.

As far as I can tell, OC causes this issue. I have the exact same processor, with a Gigabyte Gaming 7 Mobo.

I have 2x R9 270X in Xfire, but the point remains.

My monitors are both 22", main one is 1680x1050 and the other one (the one that tears) is 1920x1080.

I uninstalled MSI afterburner and the issue went away. I tried using Radeon OC utility, and the issue came back. It is 100% something to do with OC and 2nd monitors, and it's caused by an AMD driver update :/

ieatbabies

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
So I know this is late, but I have the exact same problem.

As far as I can tell, OC causes this issue. I have the exact same processor, with a Gigabyte Gaming 7 Mobo.

I have 2x R9 270X in Xfire, but the point remains.

My monitors are both 22", main one is 1680x1050 and the other one (the one that tears) is 1920x1080.

I uninstalled MSI afterburner and the issue went away. I tried using Radeon OC utility, and the issue came back. It is 100% something to do with OC and 2nd monitors, and it's caused by an AMD driver update :/

Solution