Remove OS, but Keep the Data on the Old HDD?

Pandaaz

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
I have an old PC with a dead motherboard, and I have recently bought a new computer. I would like to keep all the files on my old HDD, and hopefully use that old HDD, because there is some important information on there. I would like to install Windows 10 over again on the new SSD. Is there a way I can use this new computer to somehow delete just the OS off of the HDD?

Thanks in Advance.

Solution

That is actually quite hard.
It is MUCH easier to connect it as a second drive, copy your critical data out of it, and then wipe it.
Removing ONLY Windows and leaving your data is not an easy task.

And of course, the applications on it won't work with the new OS on the SSD anyway.

USAFRet

Titan

That is actually quite hard.
It is MUCH easier to connect it as a second drive, copy your critical data out of it, and then wipe it.
Removing ONLY Windows and leaving your data is not an easy task.

And of course, the applications on it won't work with the new OS on the SSD anyway.

Solution
If your new computer is a desktop model you may be able to install the old HDD in the case and connect it to the motherboard in the new computer. That will depend on how old the old HDD is and if the new motherboard supports the type of data connection it needs.

If the HDD is really old it may have a PATA/IDE data interface. Most newer motherboards no longer support that interface.

It may not be a good idea to continue to use the old HDD depending on how old it is. They don't last forever. It would be better to buy a new HDD and copy the data from the old drive to the new drive.
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/228497-backblaze-releases-billion-hour-hard-drive-reliability-report

If it is a PATA/IDE drive, as mentioned above, you might take it to a shop and have them copy the data to the new drive for you.

Have you backed up the "important information" that is on the old HDD? If not, now is a good time to do so. You could use an external drive, cloud storage, or another PC on your home network. For really important information, I back up to multiple places.

As said, removing Windows is not that easy. Back up the data, format the old HDD, and use it as a secondary storage drive.

And when you do re-install Windows 10 to the new SSD, do not connect the old HDD until you are finished with the Windows installation.

aligwashington

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
if by Data you mean word/excel files you connect HDD to a new pc and copy them to a new drive format the old drive and put data back on it, you can not transfer programs unless they are emulation based or single exe file.
you can delete windows folder , Program files both X86 and normal on the old drive as usually it never carry any data if you don't wanna format the drive but know it will be a long process.

Ha, hadn't thought of IDE drives, even though I have a stack of them in my "Parts" closet. :pt1cable:

If the old HDD happens to be IDE, there are external docking stations that can accept and IDE drive, but hopefully the "old" HDD is not that old.

Pandaaz

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
Thanks, All! I should be more up front about specific data: I need to copy over some excel documents and some Autodesk Inventor files, (.ipt files). It is a SATA HDD, so no problems there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can just download windows 10 onto the new SSD, then plug in the HDD, copy over the data I need, and then reformat the HDD? If so, thanks very much! If not, scold me before I do it. :)

USAFRet

Titan

Exactly, yes.
Depending on where they are, you may need to Take Ownership.
This, because if they live in the original /Users/ Pandaaz/Documents....you probably won't have direct access to them.

Go to Microsoft.com and download the Media Creation Tool. They have instructions on how to use the tool to create your installation media. You will need a blank 8GB usb flash drive to hold the installation media. If the drive is not empty, it will erase everything on it in the process.

But yes, everything else you described is correct.