windows 10 force installs updates that slow down my games

pjdevaney1

Prominent
May 24, 2017
I've recently updated my Windows PC. The games have slowed down to an unplayable state so I reverted the updates but Windows somehow always finds a way to forcefully reinstall them. Sometimes, when I alt-tab out of my grand theft auto it crashes my pc and installs updates when I restart my computer. Even if I don't restart my machine some updates weasel their way in and all of them slow down my games ridiculously. Has anyone else had similar problems? Could anyone with technical knowledge read the patch notes and figure out what could be causing this?
For reference I have 2 1080ti SLI and an i7 7700k so this is not a hardware problem I believe
Thank you

Solution
Try disabling the updates through Windows Update service. Go to Control Panel, then to Administrative Tools. Look for Services window. Once there, scroll down to Windows Update & turn it off. Let me know if reverting and disabling the updates works for you. also. It is recommended that you do keep the system updated at all times, especially since that ransomware issue broke out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
which updates are they?

windows updates will happen whether you want them or not, no point fighting it. And as you saw, not all need a restart. If its the process of updating them that slows you down, why not just grab them before you start playing. If you know its got them there, why fight it?

pjdevaney1

Prominent
May 24, 2017
No, its after there installed that they cause problems after a forced update my games run 20-30 fps slower and stutter constantly that's why I uninstall them

MasterChief86

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Try disabling the updates through Windows Update service. Go to Control Panel, then to Administrative Tools. Look for Services window. Once there, scroll down to Windows Update & turn it off. Let me know if reverting and disabling the updates works for you. also. It is recommended that you do keep the system updated at all times, especially since that ransomware issue broke out.

Solution