CPU FAN GENERATE electricity? Is Industry stealing our money?>

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
ANYONE, please reply

If I wanted to generate enough power to keep a device running that required 12 volts and 1 amp continuously what RPM would this fan need to rotate at to generate that much power?

If not possible then what model fan would be needed???
thanks, DETAILS BELOW ON FAN!

CAN CPU FAN BE USED TO GENERATE ELECTRICITY?

This is the stock cpu fan that comes with the INTEL i5-4570 LGA 1150

CPU FAN MODEL
E97378-001 CNSH4294S4 F90T12NS1B7-64A01C1
DC 12V 0.28 AMP
NIDEC 4 WIRES

p.s. I was born in the US and am a United States citizen and have never been convicted of crimes against any peoples. thank you.

How would you generate power from the fan? Its an electric motor that draws power to operate.
If you mean attaching it to some sort of generator and trying to run it, thats not possible.

You can never use electricity to generate more electricity than you put into the system, its not possible to achieve >100% efficiency.

Yamitime

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014

very true .Do you think the OP has been smoking something?

In theory, if you spin the fan at the speed it's running normally (likely 2600 to 2700 RPM) it should generate that 0.28A and 12V.
Said fan cannot thus output 1A, you need bigger fan.

Problem is.. how to get it to rotate that fast on it's own? Air pressure? wind isn't strong enough. compressed air with air compressor? probably but said compressor needs power, more than your fan generates.

Some Youtube do it yourself people have managed to get it to work on really small currents with magnets (glue bits to each fin and use another magnet to bump them to spin) but.. I have doubts about their RPM and actual generated power amounts.

most fans will not actually put voltage out if you spin them backwards. the fan driver only works one way, it is not like a normal DC brushed motor, you can try spinning the fans up with air, but do not expect voltage, and even if you get any it will likely be far less than input at the same speed. as for current, well even less of that.

Actually makes me wonder if something could be designed by having certain magnets on the fins but there are multiple magnets that bump them to spin them, and they somehow alternate from natural weights moving those magnets to align the poles in the proper position always, after a period of time in which the weights need reset. Kind of like a grandfather clock, you know?

USAFRet

Titan

Or, you could just plug something into the wall and use that great big nuclear reactor that is just down the road.
It has magnets...

Certain types of motors operate equally well as generators. The brushless DC motors found in computer fans are not those.

Those are perpetual motion scams; the laws of thermodynamics disagree with you.

Seemingly this was already discussed here at Tom's before. (Not that surprising)
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2410169/produce-volts-energy-cpu-fan.html
It has also been discussed elsewhere:
https://www.gadgetmakersblog.com/computer-fan-generator/

Long story short, It is inefficient and needs tinkering and you save energy by not doing it. Doing it just for curiosity is fine though but you would need to provide more information on what you want to get done if you want better help.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

LOL someone has been watching too much Spaceballs :D