Did the Creator's Update kill my laptop?

xpatrick32x

Prominent
May 25, 2017
Windows 10 promoted me to update 5 days ago, and it was getting stuck each time it tried to boot. The update didnt finish and the version was still the same as before. So I gave up for a few days, tried again today and this time it restarted it will not boot up.

It will boot like normal with the Lenovo logo and the spinning loading symbol on a black screen. After about 10 seconds it looks like it is about to start, but then the screen just goes black. I've tried everything I could find to try to get past it so I could just roll back and ignore the update.

I tried using F8 on start up and got that screen to show up (not sure what it is, maybe safe mode). Once I was on that screen I couldn't use the arrow keys, and enter didnt work either. Also tried a boot button on my laptop that brings up a boot menu, and once again I can't make any selections.

I have a Lenovo Y50 originally windows 8.1, i5 processor with a 860m nvidia graphics card. Please tell me this didnt just brick this expensive laptop...

Solution
its not bricked as it boots, its just windows that isn't working i think

Does laptop have a reset key that normally restarts it just by pressing it? As 1 trick to get into advanced startup in windows is to start PC, let it get to that loading circle and restart it. If you do that 3 times it should load auto repair, which may/may not fix issue. if it can't it offers advanced options. pick that and it loads advanced startup
If you get that far, we can try safe mode
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

otherwise, we may need to get in via bios

On another PC, download the...

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not bricked as it boots, its just windows that isn't working i think

Does laptop have a reset key that normally restarts it just by pressing it? As 1 trick to get into advanced startup in windows is to start PC, let it get to that loading circle and restart it. If you do that 3 times it should load auto repair, which may/may not fix issue. if it can't it offers advanced options. pick that and it loads advanced startup
If you get that far, we can try safe mode
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

otherwise, we may need to get in via bios

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its just a boot disc if nothing else

is there anything on C drive you want to rescue? try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

have you tried the novo button to get into bios? is that the boot button you meant? so trackpad isn't working? as not sure how you navigate the boot menu

Solution

xpatrick32x

Prominent
May 25, 2017
Yeah the novo button is the one I was talking about. And your correct my keyboard seems unresponsive to these menus, however the trackpad was working the one time I got a black screen with a mouse cursor. Also tried to use a wireless keyboard.

It would be nice to keep what's on my hard drive, but honestly I don't really care at this point if I lose all memory. Just have a lot of games installed that will take a while to install.

And yes I believe it is only a windows problem, guess I should have gotten the hint when I had to try so many times to update...

xpatrick32x

Prominent
May 25, 2017
I was able to get the reset thing you mentioned to bring up the automatic repair screen! My keyboard and mouse work! I tried clicking on the button that said troubleshoot windows to see if it might fix it, but it's been attempting repairs for about 30mins. I'll let it keep going for a while then I'll shut it off and try to fix it without resetting it completely.

Thank you for helping me find a way I can atleast try to fix it. It was really frustrating not being able to get any boot menus to respond to my keyboard.

xpatrick32x

Prominent
May 25, 2017
Nothing worked so I choose to reset and keep my files, so it uninstalled windows. Now it's reinstalling windows.

EDIT: It finished installing and started up like normal! I did lose all settings and every application I've had... Now I'm trying to update to the latest windows 10 version, hopefully it goes better this time.