7700K w/ 1070 vs 7700 w/ 1080

Keatononame

Prominent
May 25, 2017
I currently have a 4590, 950, 1080p60 build, currently satisfied with that. I've been doing some poking around for a future build over the past years, an upper end build featuring an i7 purely for gaming @ 1440p144. I threw together what I thought was a legitimate build several months back featuring 7700K and an EVGA 1070 after educating myself that the 1070 would not be fully utilized with a 7600K in 1080p. My intended build mindset was to do everything properly, to which no reasonable person could colloquially call my build lacking in any decision. I don't realistically have a budget, but the money spent, will be spent towards suitable "componential needs". My decisions became tough as I started building another random list of parts and realized, for the amount of money I'd be retaining by purchasing a 7700, (non-K SKU, mobo, AIO) would more then pay for the price to upgrade the 1070 to a 1080. My question, and from the research I've read, the 7700K will allow for ~+10-~20 fps, (Not enough for me to dedicate a few extra hundred dollars towards, especially when I'd be getting ~70+ as it is) would it be rational in my thinking of -- "a place for everything and everything in its place" to purchase the 7700 build with a 1080 over the increased price for a K SKU and albeit a 1070? I can do without the ability to overclock if it means an even-keeled reasonable build with a valid trade-off. I've tried to find suitable references to allow for an easier decision on this matter, however it's clearly off the radar of all the legitimate sources. For now, here's my theoretical builds, none of these parts have been purchased, nor are they likely to be in the next 3 months. I would just like input from others just in case I happen to be drastically overlooking something reasonable. I understand the logic, "you're spending $2,000+, what's a few more hundred?" Thanks in advance, decently valid points I feel I've encountered.
Not interested in Ryzen, not interested in RGB. Black is the only thing that affects price.

7700K - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y3TKQV
7700 - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qDGQvV

Looking you're going to play @ 1440p144hz, you will need the power of the GTX 1080. Now, as an owner of 4690 and regreting my choice for no picking the K one, i highly recommend you a K. Not about the fps, its about how much you can last with that CPU.

That said, my choose was mainly for the resolution you're going to play.

Note: 7700 comes with stock cooler so, you may not need that dark rock cpu cooler.