How much should I sell my rig for?

Yoshi124

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
I built this computer with all brand new parts 2-2.5 years ago and I'm looking to sell it because I want to build a new computer from scratch. Here's what my build consists of: link

Solution
Usually it's about 1/2 of what you originally paid for it. You won't ever expect to get the full price of a PC. So if you're going by a 2.5 year lifespan it would be computed this way:

$1500 / 2.5 = $600

$1500 - $600 = $900

So you'd probably get around $900 for a rig if that were the case.

azca

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
you might get lucky and find a buyer for $500; all of these parts are obsolete

g-unit1111

Titan
Usually it's about 1/2 of what you originally paid for it. You won't ever expect to get the full price of a PC. So if you're going by a 2.5 year lifespan it would be computed this way:

$1500 / 2.5 = $600

$1500 - $600 = $900

So you'd probably get around $900 for a rig if that were the case.

Solution
Part it out on eBay. No hard drive means no OS. No OS kills the value as only techies will look at it and they are looking for a bundle discount on used parts. Since it won't be exactly what they are looking for.

You should get about $600 to $650 based on used auction prices. So $500 to $550 after fees and shipping.

If you had a valid activated copy of Windows. I would expect $650 to $750 cash on Craigslist or similar sites markets like Letgo. As you will have a fully functional computer. People just looking for a decent gaming computer that works are an available market. This includes older people with some disposable income looking for a good computer for work and their gaming interests (old guys and flight simulators comes to mind). Also parents/grandparents are more apt to buy a kid a fully working computer they can see working. Not something you say will work if they install Windows and a hard drive.

g-unit1111

Titan

That's not always the best route to go. And the reason why is unless you know the exact part number of each part, it can be very difficult to do this. Manufacturers can put out 1,000 different variations of the same GPU and prices can fluctuate because of it. EVGA is one such manufacturer that is notorious for this practice. They all do this to various degrees, but there can be 50 different varieties with different clocks for one GTX 780TI or R9 390X.

Around 400 as the fx 9590 has a horrible reputation and most people will just click away when they notice it.

aaronw928

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
Unless you want to be kind of shady and try to sell someone who doesn't know any better on high core count and clock speed.. The FX line just doesn't have a lot of value. It's otherwise a pretty decent collection of parts and it's fair to guess you could get $500ish back out of it with a little patience.