New ssd not booting even though its priority

leod77

Prominent
May 27, 2017
So, i recently bought an SSD and I cloned it from my old C drive, but when i remove the old hdd, it just takes me to the uefi menu, i checked and the ssd is priority, but doesnt want to boot.

ASUS motherboard, and after having a quick chat with micosoft, they said its because windows was bought with the pc/hard drive, could that be why?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have no words for the advice given by Microsoft. Of all the people, they should know windows never matched itself to a hard drive... you can change drives without worrying about that. You can even change motherboards now if the install was originally win 7 or 8

which Asus motherboard? one thing you can try is take all drives out of pc and start it up. obviously it won't work but this might clear the boot order. put in new ssd and try to boot from it. if it does, restart a few times to make sure it stays that way.

leod77

Prominent
May 27, 2017
the install was originally windows 8 , although after a bit of time with the windows guy, he managed to get my windows 10 key back. told me i had to install windows 10 using usb on to my ssd, i went to do that and the installation said, it couldn't be done cause the ssd was in mbr, and windows supported gpt drives. can i change that? or is there another fix?

and looking for my motherboard model only yields full system model number, and nothing is given in system informartion

leod77

Prominent
May 27, 2017

looking for my motherboard model only yields full system model number, and nothing is given in system informartion

I did like you said and removed all drives, then only hooked the ssd, nothing, always brought me to bios/uefi, then hooked up old hdd, went straight through to windows

Colif

Win 11 Master
is it an Asus PC? If so, what model is it? I just assumed it was a custom build and forgot they made own PC. Knowing motherboard model only really helps so that I can see what boot options it provides

can you show me a screen shot (upload to image sharing site and share link here) of Disk Management with hdd and ssd attached? curious what its doing, did it copy all the partitions like it should have done, or just windows, which isn't going to work.

what did you use to clone it?