From IPS 1080@60hz to IPS 1080@75h/TN 1080@144hz?

JordyB

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hi all, I need some opinions and advice!

I've recently bought the gtx 1070, tested some 'heavy' games on max settings and in most games my FPS is between 85-125.

My current IPS monitor is a LG 23EA63V-P 23'' 1080p @ 60hz. Therefor I was thinking of an upgrade, to get more benefit from those FPS.

Thing is, I really love my current monitor, with the IPS panel. Besides the better colors (at least, when I bought it), I also love the large view angle. I'm a person who doesn't sit still that much, so my angle keeps on switching a bit. All I hear about TN panels, are those bad angels next to the ''washed out'' colors.

I was thinking of 120 hz, but yea, not on the market (at least, in my country). IPS @ 144 hz (1080p) are too costly. I simply don't want to spent that kind of money on a display. So the only option with an IPS panel, is 1080p @ 75 hz.

After a lot of searching, and reading, and based on my positive experience of my current monitor, I found the LG 24MP68VQ-P. 24'' monitor, IPS panel and 1080p @ 75 hz. Comes with freesync, but due my nvidia gpu I won't benefit in that part. The overal scores, reviews, ánd pricetag makes it interesting for me; €165,- taxes included.

At the same time though, I'm also wondering if I'm waisting money would I purchase that monitor. I've never played above 60fps, so I have no clue if going from 60fps to 75fps is even really worth it. I know (from reading) that 90, 120 and 144 is. But can't find any solid 60 to 75 information.

So I've also did my research about TN panels. But I honestly don't know what to think about it, nor what to expect. Like I said, I really love my current monitor, the IPS panel. The colors, the large view angle. Since I'm not always right infront of the monitor, in the ''sweet spot'', I'm in doubt if it would be a smart choice to pick a TN panel.. But yea, no experience with it at all. At the same time though, they do offer 144 hz for not that much money. Again no middleway, either 60, 75 or 144 (and 240 now I believe). 75 hz TN won't be it, since I would always pick IPS above TN if the hz are on the same level.

So 144 hz it is, and I came with the Acer GN246HL 24'' 1080p @ 144 hz. It seems to have descent to good color ratings by users, and the view angle is the highest I could find in my price range (176 degrees). Pricetag is €229,- taxes included.

And now I just don't know. I did my research, but in the end, I'm not sure what to pick, if any for that matter.

Since in the most demanding games my system doesn't reach much above 100fps it seems, and I really like IPS like I said, I'm more leaning towards the IPS @ 75 hz one. But is this really noticable, worth the money in the end?

Some extra info whats maybe usefull; I mainly game and browse on my computer, but I also like to watch Netflix and owned movies on it. I mostly play single player games, and a lot of different genres. Some which I know won't benefit that much from higher refresh rate, like RPG, RTS, others will, like FPS and race games. But I'm not a CSGO player, I'm not looking for the best fast kill experience, but for the best overal game experience.

Any opinions, and experience, would highly be appriciated!

Sorry for the long story btw!

My current monitor:
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-23EA63V-P-led-monitor
IPS @ 75 hz monitor for €165,-:
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000D-004W2
TN @ 144 hz monitor for €229,-:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009642

60htz to 75htz - not worth the expenditure IMO mate.if you were buying from scratch & didn't have a monitor it would make sense to go for a 75htz panel because they're honestly only $10-15 more.

Its just an unnecessary spend though mate honestly.

JordyB

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Yea I'm really in doubt. Due the GPU I really want to get more out of it, but the 15hz extra is bare minimum. Shame there isn't a 90 or 120 one. On the other hand I won't upgrade any major parts in my system for +/-2 years, 75hz should be a bit more enjoyable than 60hz, right? And that's probably also the average FPS I'll get with the more demending games that comes out each year.

Anyway, you def not recommend a TN panel?

JordyB

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Alright after a lot more reading and searching I came with the SAMSUNG C24FG70 (23.5'' 1080p@144hz) which uses a VA panel. It's €369,-, a bit more than I wanted, but hey, at least a solid reason to upgrade my monitor, right?

Any final thoughts before ordering the Samsung?

JordyB

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Netherlands, Europe.
Yea it's a bit expensive, for 30-60 euro's more I could get a gsync one. But then I would be stuck with the TN panel.

Now I took the middleway; better panel than the TN, perhaps slightly worse than the IPS, but the refreshrate is a whole lot more.

369 taxes included btw (21%)