First time building a gaming pc and would love some help/advice

regidice

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Hey guys, I've been interested in upgrading my current gaming desktop to something newer and more reliable. Currently I have a build that is around 6 years old but has had some minor changes made over the years including a power supply change about a year and a half back, a graphics card change a year back and a hard drive + SSD addition about a month back.
I am wanting to use some of the parts in my current build to save some money on the next one, parts such as the hard drive, SSD, power supply and optical drive are what I'm thinking of keeping.
So I've done quite a bit of research on parts and found what was fitting for my budget & gaming needs.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/JR3dPs

^ this is the current list of components I am thinking of going with, but for some reason it says it has potential incompatibility issues? Could someone explain why? I'm not too tech savy when it comes to building a rig.
I mostly play CSGO, Elder Scrolls Online, Witcher 3, Player Unknown's Battlegrounds, and a few other games which are less demanding. I'm wanting my system to be able to run these games easily with around 150-200 fps if possible? I'm also wanting to keep the price of the whole rig under $1500 and so far I have been able to do so.
I am looking for suggestions/feedback on what I've put together, or basically anything to point me in the right direction if I'm currently wrong. Also an answer to why its not compatible would be helpful.
Thank you guys in advance!
If I've missed anything please let me know.

some bad choices there.
you don't need a 850W PSU, cougar isn't known for quality.
a Z-Mainboard is made for Intel's K-CPUs, the 7500 isn't one of them, needs a Mainboard with a 200series chip
overall the 7500 is a bit bad business imo, as you'll get more for your money with AMD in this range
the selected fans have a bad value/performance ratio

2 proposals:

1) staying at your inital build budget of 1200$
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Centre Com)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($155.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: GeIL - SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($159.00 @ Umart)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card ($359.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Fractal Design - Edison M 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Case Fan: Cougar - CFD12HBW 64.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($15.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Total: $1225.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-27 19:32 AEST+1000

- the Edison M for that price is a real steal, high quality PSU made by Seasonic
- a slightly nicer and easier ventilated case
- 1 additional case fan is totally sufficient, picked a Cougar with a good value/performance ratio. 5$ extra would get you a Noctua though.
- changed RAM to something faster to accomodate the Ryzen CPU
- changed CPU/Board to AMD, as you get 2 additional cores and 6 additional threads at similar clockspeeds (COU can be overclocked quite easily to match the 7500)

2) going for a 1500$ budget, salvaging your drives:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($424.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B250 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($158.00 @ IJK)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card ($542.10 @ Skycomp Technology)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Fractal Design - Edison M 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.10 @ Skycomp Technology)
Total: $1490.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-27 19:37 AEST+1000

- changed CPU to i7-7700
- changed Mainboard to a quality board to go along with it
- changed CPU cooler (optional, but recommended)
- squeezed in a GTX1070
- changed RAM to default sppeds of 2400MHz
- changed case
- changed PSU to Edison M 450
- depending on your budget & and your temperature situation 1 additional fan can be nice but is probably not needed

regidice

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Thanks heaps for the reply Isokolon!
The reason i have the 850w PSU in there is because its currently what i have in my computer and i dont see the point replacing it unless it really need it?
I honestly had no clue about the motherboards and their compatibility lol.
One thing I did want to ask though was that I've read the Intel core i7 is only better for people who wish to use rendering software? Is that so? I figured that since I dont render, there is no point spending more money on a i7 when the i5 would do fine for gaming?
Also, I don't intend on overclocking at all. Does that change any of the recommendations?
And finally, is AMD a more reliable brand in comparison to Intel or are they the same?

As for the rest, I really like the suggestions! Some cheaper parts that seem to be of higher quality. I appreciate you helping out here

Depends on how old the PSU actually is.
If it's 5 years or older I'd replace it immediately.

As for your i5/i7 - this was very true until a year ago.
Until a year ago there hasn't been too many games that really exceeded the capabilities of an i5.
But over the last year and especially with Dx12 more and more games like 6-8 threads and 4-6cores.
In several games like Ghost Recon: Wildlands or Battlefield 1, the i5 clearly reaches it's limits due to being only able to distribute load over 4 threads while the i7 shows clear advantages.
While Intel CPUs are still the best for gaming (meaning i7s) in the medium range segment, where you've located your initial build, AMD simply outperforms the i5s. Of course not everywhere. The i5 can work faster within a single thread, but due to it's threading limitations is often on par or outperformed by the Ryzen CPUs that just offer more resources for the same price tag.

As for the OC part: for the i7 suggestion - no.
As for the AMD Ryzen suggestion -- well the 1600 & the 1600X are the same chip, AMD just clocks them differently but it's no problem (literally no problem) to push the 1600 to 1600X levels
Otherwise I'd suggest getting the 1600X for the fee extra quid, in all honesty it's not really needed as you can just set the multiplier to OC the 1600 to 1600X levels. Ultimately your choice.
Sorry if I got a bit too tech-y there ;)

As for reliability: both do fine. AMD has usually better price/performance ratio while Intel's premium products get you supreme performance.
Imo their i5 lineup offers too little for it's price tag though apart from office operations.

regidice

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Nah its only around 1 and a bit years old. Ill hold onto it for now and save myself some extra $$ until I need to replace it.

Alright I guess I'll future-proof my pc then and get the Ryzen. For my gaming & no overclocking which model of the Ryzen would you recommend the most?
You got a little tech-y but i got it after a proper read through haha!
I'm going to get back onto PCCaseGear and have a look at all the components you suggested & choose the ones I want. Is it alright if I reply tomorrow with the updated list and you can confirm it for me? I just dont wanna screw it up :p

its a better idea to get a B350 mobo even if u arent gonna overclock. i mean, u can always try. the 1600 is the ideal choice. but since u arent gonna overclock right away, i would suggest 1600X with a decent cooler like the cryorig H5 or Scythe mugen 5. if u r a bit tight on cash, i would suggest the 1500X[doesnt need a cooler].

all depends on pricing.
the 1600X is the CPU you want, however unless it comes at a good price it's not really worth it over the 1600
otherwise you can't go wrong with the i7

sure thing. don't know how much I'll be around tomorrow, but I'll find a minute, I'm sure ;)

regidice

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Alright so here is my updated list from what you guys have told me --> https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/2YNfcc
I still have a few questions:
1. Does the Ryzen CPU not require a Cooler?
2. On the list I selected the ASRock AB350 Gaming K4 Motherboard, but an alternative was the MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard. Which of those two would best suit my build?
3. I went with the MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card, but the alternative was the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming G1 6GB. Which is best for me?

The reason I have the Corsair RAM is because I am wanting to buy everything off of PCCG and they didn't have the one you recommended me.
Hopefully this time I'm more on the mark haha!

Difference between the MSI 1060 & the G1 1060 is non existent
Different brand, design, same performance.

The MSI board works as well

The 1600 comes with a pretty good stock cooler.

The Phanteks MP fan you've selected is a radiator fan. A F120SP/XP are the case fans.

Lucky's build is nice as well.
However I'd get a nicer fan. This one is very basic

regidice

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Thank you both for helping out with it all! I really appreciate your help.
I'm happy with the current look of things. Gotta save some $$ and buy this bad boy!
And don't worry I changed the fan haha