Asus maximus ix hero. I need ram help.

The_Contact

Prominent
May 27, 2017
It's been a while since I built a pc. I have a asus maximus ix hero with. kabby lake 7700k cpu, corsair water cooler and a evga geforce gtx 1080 ftw. I'm a little rough on my a+ hardware, it's been a while.

My ram is vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8GB for a total of 16 3200mhz. When I was picking out parts someone said if you have the money buy two packs. So I bought two packs so it seems like I have a bit of a problem.

First off the asus maximus ix hero seems to only support dual channel and I have two seperate identical packs of ram. Secondly from left to right the mother board seem to be different colors two of them are black and two teal. DIMM_A1 (black) DIMM_A2 (teal) DIMM_A3 (black) DIMM_A4 (teal) which slots do I put each ram card into?

The instruction book is telling me to put one stick into DIMM_A2 and it's corresponding stick into DIMM_A4. Me personally I know if I'm using too much ram as well that can be a bad thing. I found that out several years ago when I built my old pc.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Make sure to put the "pairs" into the same colored slots not beside each other. Whoever told you to buy two packs should be kicked in the shin the next time you see them. You should have bought a 2*16 or 4*8 single pack. You may have issues using xmp with two mixed kits but you can still try.

Assuming it does boot successfully install windows/drivers then go back into bios and look for the memory settings. You should be able to enable xmp and the the memory to run at 3200 (it'll default at 2133 or 2400 like all memory)