Constant Stuttering i7 6700k

Jakefett98

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
I just finished an upgrade/overhaul build on a smaller build of mine. I went from an i3 6100 to an i76700k running at stock, but something is going horribly wrong. for some reason on every game (but minecraft lol) I get insane stuttering! PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is actually unplayable due to this, and Ark I can't even get past the main menu. I know it isnt the gpu. I'm not sure what to do.

SPECS
i7 6700k @ 4.0ghz
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 (2x8gb)
Asus RoG RX470 4gb
120gb Sandisk Plus SSD
1TB WD HDD
Deepcool Captain ex 240 (Cooler)
NZXT s340

Is this the same motherboard as before and just a CPU change?
Did you update the BIOS if an update's available?
Did you reset the BIOS after you put in new CPU?
Is this an already installed Windows, but new CPU/Motherboard?

Jakefett98

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016

I moved my ssd and hdd to a new rig... I don't know if that has any affect on it. I updated the bios and reset everything, I still get stuttering.

toxaris71

Prominent
May 22, 2017
-What are your CPU temperatures? I know you're using water cooling, but perhaps it wasn't installed correctly?
-Also, maybe you can try out a cpu benchmarking tool, and see if your cpu is performing as fast as it should.
-On some motherboards they recommend installing dual channel ram in the 2nd and 4th slot, instead of 1st and 3rd, see if your motherboard manual specifies this and if it's already done.
-Maybe try testing your hard drive by using the old one to see if that fixes the stuttering?

That's about all I can think of, apart from the cpu being defective.

No, you can't move your ssd to a new rig. Windows has the wrong drivers now for chipset, lan, audio, etc. have to reinstall windows clean.

If its a retail version of windows or you tied win 10 to your Microsoft account you can change mobo. If not, might have to buy new windows license.

Ahh.. very likely this is the problem.
Changing motherboards pretty much guarantee the necessity of a fresh Windows install.
I would reinstall Windows (I know it's a pain, but it's for the best obviously). If you have any difficulties authenticating Windows afterwards, Microsoft is pretty good if you call their support line and explain what happened.