Dual-monitor setup doubts

jvmunhoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
Part 1

Well, I'm thinking on getting a GTX 1080 Ti to replace my now obsolete graphics card. Accompanying it, I'm also thinking of buying a new monitor with NVIDIA G-Sync technology, to enjoy my soon-to-be graphics card to the fullest.

As the GTX 1080 Ti is already gonna cost me quite a lot, I dont intend on spending more than necessary on my monitor, wich must be a "budget" G-Sync compatible monitor (taking G-Sync monitor prices into consideration). My minimum requirements are 144Hz and G-sync, with prices at U$400 tops.

My favorite ones are the Dell S2417DG and the AOC G2460PG. Out of those, I tend more to the Dell S2417DG, for its considerably better specs at a low price difference. And besides these two, does anyone know of any other options that fit my requirements?

Part 2

I currently have a really standard Samsung 1080p monitor that I bought about 5-6 years ago, wich has almost no resell value. Taking that into consideration, how would a dual-monitor setup behave, if the new monitor has different refresh rates (60Hz currently against at least 144Hz from the new one), no G-Sync and possible different resolutions? Would the old monitor cap the new monitor in any way?

The old monitor will basically be used as an auxiliary screen for games (map, itens, etc), work and university related things.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
depending on the pricing, I'd take a look at the Acer XB241YU
same panel as the Dell but better software

as for the old monitor: shouldn't cap in any way
but if you're comfortable with 2 different refresh rates -- nobody can answer that for you
I wouldn't game on two though but use the second - as second. for your browser/music/teamspeak/etc
depending on the pricing, I'd take a look at the Acer XB241YU
same panel as the Dell but better software

as for the old monitor: shouldn't cap in any way
but if you're comfortable with 2 different refresh rates -- nobody can answer that for you
I wouldn't game on two though but use the second - as second. for your browser/music/teamspeak/etc

Solution

jvmunhoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

The Acer XB241YU price is around U$500, a bit over my budget. But when you say better software, what do you mean? What exactly is a software for a monitor and what is the different between them? Always thought it was a plug-and-play kind of thing.

Regarding the old monitor, I intended to use it like you described on most cases when gaming, but in specific cases use it in game as well, such as to display the map, scoreboard and the like, as playing with two different frame rates must indeed be quite odd.

You can use it plug& play of course.
However the image settings should be perfected to your preferences. This is done via the monitor's OSD. The Dell's pretty much sucks and doesn't let you fine tune quite as good as one would want.
The Acer gives you total control to set up the perfect image for you (and comes with a few gimmicks like a FPS counter).
But if it's out of your price range it doesn't really matter talking about it

The Dell is a great gaming monitor, not as good with movies though.

As for your secondary, I doubt it makes a big difference if there is a static scoreboard displayed but I got no experience.