asus maximus ix hero continued

The_Contact

Prominent
May 27, 2017
I just did a thread about the bios settings I have not idea how to close it. This is my first pc builld in a long time. Any patience would be appreciated. I'm just gonna go over some things to make sure I have the right drivers installed. So I have:

- Asus maximus ix hero
- Corsair H110i water pump as it was all I could afford
- Corsair Ax 860 modular power suppy
- Corsair Graphite 780t
- Corsair vengeance 2x8 3200MHz 2 packs to total 4x8 (I reported this on the forums the other day and someone told me I shouldn't have two separate packs. I checked the bios and they all reported back running at their speed)
- A evga geforce 1080 FTW (Not FTW2) As far as I know these fans are not coming on.

At this point I am asking for assistance with the drivers and making sure that everything is running as it should as I have NO IDEA what I am looking at/for. So far I ran into a problem with the pump. I watched a youtube video of someone installing the pump and they plugged the pump into the AIO port at the top of the motherboard. My pump is 3 pin and the spot for AIO pump was 4 pin and it returned an error at boot up asking me to go into the bios and change something. Regardless I got windows 10 usb and forced it to boot to that from the bios and set up the first of two legs for windows 10. When I rebooted I got the error for the cpu fan and the only thing it would allow me to do is hit F1. I looked up online and they told me to move the three pun and put it into the CPU_FAN and I did that and now I am able to boot. From there I have finished my os and updated windows and here I am ready to install drivers. Hopefully you guys can help.

I'm gonna tool around on the asus website for drivers and such while I wait.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Get your drivers from here: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

You'll want all chipset drivers, Audio drivers, VGA are not required as you have a graphics card, LAN drivers, and SATA driver, out of the utilities just download the AISuite3 for now.

Get your graphics card drivers from the nVidia website. http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

As for you pump AIO etc, plug the 3 pin connector into the spot for AIO on the motherboard, doesnt matter that its a 4 pin connector, it is keyed so you can use 3 pins in it too, plug the fan that is connected to the radiator into the CPU Fan header.

The_Contact

Prominent
May 27, 2017

Ok I'm a little confused. The two fans that were attached to the radiator fit onto the female adapters from the pump there were two of them. The last remaining 3 pin fit into one or the other AIO pump or CPU_FAN. Seeing as I don't have another connector what should I do? I watched this youtube video that he said he chose the CPU_FAN to ignore. Plus your giving me UK links but that's ok and I can find the proper U.S. site.

Thanks for the quick response I'm not out of the woods yet!

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Sorry thats because im in the UK, however it doesnt matter as the drivers will all be the same regardless of UK or US.

Yes, you can set the CPU_FAN to ignore in the bios, I think the AIO header on the board is probably a higher Amperage to handle the higher power that the pump and fans require, its probably a 2amp header, whereas the others will be 1amp headers.

The_Contact

Prominent
May 27, 2017
Sorry thats because im in the UK, however it doesnt matter as the drivers will all be the same regardless of UK or US.

Yes, you can set the CPU_FAN to ignore in the bios, I think the AIO header on the board is probably a higher Amperage to handle the higher power that the pump and fans require, its probably a 2amp header, whereas the others will be 1amp headers.

Ok yeah but you seem to be on to something here. On the motherboard by the book: it has CPU, CPU optional, high amp, extension, water pump+, AIO pump and chassis fan connectors. What do you think I should do with this available to me?

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

LOL thats quite a few headers, your pump seems to be a strange setup, what I can gather from what you are telling me is your 2 fans on your radiator actually get the power from the pump, ie connect to the pump ?

If this is the case, I would plug the pump into whichever header gives the highest Amps, most headers will only take about 3 fans before you are reaching the limits of the header (1amp) this is based on each fan requiring 0.28-0.33 amps per fan, RGB fans even more, so you know that your 2 fans are pretty much drawing the power limits of the header via the pump, but what we dont know is how many amps your pump is pulling too, which is why I suggest you use a higher amp header.

Another option if possible, is do the fans have just the standard 4 pin PWM connectors on them, if so, plug the pump into the AIO, 1 fan into the CPU_FAN and the other fan into the CPU_OPT, if not, set these to ignore in the bios.

The_Contact

Prominent
May 27, 2017
Yeah so I have 3 case fans plugged into the case female adapters as I have a 780t it has those for the case fans it came with. I think I'm gonna keep it on the cpu header for now unless there are other options to consider I am still considering plugging the pump into the AIO header at the top of the motherboard. The other three case fans are not being read by the motherboard as they are hooked up to the case and not the motherboard. The two fans for the radiator are hooked up to the pump as there are two female adapters from the pump. But yeah there are a bunch of headers on the mother board.

What family is the EVGA Geforce 1080 FTW edition in? I'm on their website and it's asking for a family? Yeah I'm on evga geforce not nvidia.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

1080 is nVidia, its just branded by EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte etc, they are all nVidia unless they are AMD/ATi, but ive just compared the two sites drivers and they are both the same, but in the future, you will find the nvidia website updates there drivers long before EVGA do, select 10 series family and then your OS version.

The_Contact

Prominent
May 27, 2017
Ok so with the drivers for the mother board for example I have two updates under chipset The newest one is 11.6 and the old one which looks like it does a bunch of other things too has a different number 10.1.

Should I install both the 11.6 and the 10.1?

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Yes install both, one is chipset drivers 10.1, install that one first, then the other, intel management interface. 11.6, they are 2 different drivers.

Install the newest LAN driver

Install the newest SATA driver