Weird stuff happening after reset of PC

Andreas_30

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
Hi, i had a few issues with my headset earlier today, but that's solved now. But when i was having those problems, i decided to reset my PC completely, which wasn't needed at all, but i did it. After reseting my PC it booted up like a normal fresh Windows 10 install. So then i went and downloaded all drivers, but they were already installed anyways (Because i chose to keep personal files). Then i installed all my games, first i installed GTA 5, and then something weird happened; Every time it downloaded 1GB i got 1GB free space on my HDD, this confuses me a bit.

And another thing happened; There was a folder created called "Windows.old". Should i delete it or not?

Another thing that happened is; I downloaded a bunch of programs, but i already had the launchers installed, so now i have a bunch of duplicates.

And another issue i have is that Firefox blacks out for like a split second sometimes.

So yeah, that's a bunch of problems. Hope you guys can help :)

Solution
when you reset and keep files/settings it should have wiped the drivers so that is strange
You could keep windows.old, PC will delete it itself when needed and some people have had strange happenings deleting it too soon. It may only be there 10 days
If the programs you downloaded where installed on other hard drive, that would make sense. A reset only effects C drive so anything else would have been there already, windows just wouldn't see it.

hdd reactions and Firefox makes me think its not right. You might be better off doing a clean install. Save all the files you want to keep onto another hdd or cloud server or USB drive.
Disconnect any extra drives before installing as win 10 likes to share itself around if given the choice of 2...

Colif

Win 11 Master
when you reset and keep files/settings it should have wiped the drivers so that is strange
You could keep windows.old, PC will delete it itself when needed and some people have had strange happenings deleting it too soon. It may only be there 10 days
If the programs you downloaded where installed on other hard drive, that would make sense. A reset only effects C drive so anything else would have been there already, windows just wouldn't see it.

hdd reactions and Firefox makes me think its not right. You might be better off doing a clean install. Save all the files you want to keep onto another hdd or cloud server or USB drive.
Disconnect any extra drives before installing as win 10 likes to share itself around if given the choice of 2 drives - might put boot sector on wrong drive.

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Solution