Choosing gaming monitor 27 or 34

yevsh

Prominent
May 29, 2017
Hi,

Have a lot of doubts and can't decide what to buy.

The options are:

Asus PG279Q
Acer X34 Predator

Monitor will serve me at least 5-6 years.

Asus has a superior refresh rate.

Acer is big, but I am afraid it's too big.

Usages: gaming and coding.

GPU: 1080TI
(price is not consideration)

Solution
I am partial to the 27" I have now, after moving from 24". However, the trend toward ultra-wide is teasing. I don't see a point to a curved monitor under 32". And I think that finding a 32" flat panel might be the next 'sweet spot', currently occupied by quality 27" units. IF you look at 34"+, you have to go with the curved monitor. As the guys already said... "what is your use?". If mixed productivity/modding and gaming, I would go 27-32" flat. If majority gaming and media watching, then curved.

And games... if you play games that are more immersive in a curved format, something like Elite Dangerous, then you may lean that way over flat panels. It's a big decision and not an easy one. Fast vs quality vs size vs budget. And...

Masoner

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

A good starting place is to ask your self exactly.. to the point of.. exactly what you will be doing. If you will be gaming mostly then you'll want the one with higher refresh rates, if you need the screen space for work more than gaming then that is right one.

IMO, I just went from 24 inch, to 27 inch and the difference is huge. That maybe a good middle ground for what you are doing.

Ditt44

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I am partial to the 27" I have now, after moving from 24". However, the trend toward ultra-wide is teasing. I don't see a point to a curved monitor under 32". And I think that finding a 32" flat panel might be the next 'sweet spot', currently occupied by quality 27" units. IF you look at 34"+, you have to go with the curved monitor. As the guys already said... "what is your use?". If mixed productivity/modding and gaming, I would go 27-32" flat. If majority gaming and media watching, then curved.

And games... if you play games that are more immersive in a curved format, something like Elite Dangerous, then you may lean that way over flat panels. It's a big decision and not an easy one. Fast vs quality vs size vs budget. And can your GPU drive the thing???... obviously yours can, but that's still part of the equation.

Buying a house, or actually, choosing between two equally appealing women is easier than choosing a new monitor.

Solution