Can I Transfer W10 to Another PC?

Afairg

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
I have an older HP laptop that came with windows 8, I upgraded it to Windows 10. I looked up how to tell if I have an OEM or Retail license, and according to the command prompt, I am on RETAIL Channel. Does this mean that if I build a new computer, I can transfer my Windows 10 to it? Thanks in advance.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
very few, almost none license form hp is retail

almost 100% sure your hp license is oem

once you update windows 8 to 10, that windows 8 license ceases to exist as a windows license, it becomes a windows 10 with digital rights license

i heard that you can use the 25 letters and numbers on another pc and try to activate it with digital rights and some could, surely is not the case for everyone, iirc if you link the license with your hotmail or outlook license, you can transfer it but the hp pc is left without a windows license

Afairg

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

I think I would be fine leaving my laptop with no windows license, I've had it for 6 years and I am trying to upgrade from it. If you want, I try to put a screenshot of the box that says RETAIL Channel.

USAFRet

Titan

If you have upgraded the original Win 8 to Win 10, the OEMness of the original HP no longer matters.
You have what is known as a digital entitlement.

Yes, you can (probably) transfer that license to other hardware.
Obviously, only one system at a time. So the old laptop with be without a license.

Read and do this before you change any hardware:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

Afairg

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

I was actually planning on doing that, but I'm not even sure if my laptop is worth $100. It has an old i3-2375M CPU with integrated graphics, other than that it has been treated very well. I guess I could do a hard reset and put it up on ebay and see what happens.

USAFRet

Titan

Put it on craigslist and sell it locally.