Component upgrade advice

B1ackr00k

Prominent
May 29, 2017
Hello! I recently purchased a new GPU and am looking at my other components to see where I might get the most bang for my buck for upgrading with a focus on PC gaming. Here is my current build:■

• CPU: AMD FX 8320 @ 3.5 GHz
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB G1
    Memory: 24GB DDR3 1600
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
    PSU: EVGA Supernova NEX650G
I'm currently installing whatever I'm playing to a Kingston v300 120gb SSD. I am considering whether or not to upgrade the CPU to a FX 8350 or FX 8370. However I'm also looking at springing for a decent water cooler and setting my 8320 to Turbo Mode and clocking it at 4.0 GHz. From the research I've done so far though it may be that for gaming the CPU is less important than perhaps adding another SSD and doing a RAID0. What do you guys think? I appreciate any input on what a good next step would be to add a little "oompf" to my current build. Thank you!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You're not going to get much more performance from that platform. The FX-83xx/9xxx lineup is all about the same once you start OC'ing. The slight differences in clock speed will be determined by the silicon and your expertise.

I doubt the FX-83xx at max OC will be able to keep up with the GTX 1080. Been there with my FX-8350 @ 4.7GHz and my GTX 1070...

The only benefit from a faster storage solution will be faster load times for maps and textures. RAID 0 never gains much either, but may be worth the effort with a SSD over a HDD. Haven't tried that yet.

You may want to consider moving to a newer platform. Ryzen, Kaby Lake...

want more POWW in your gaming?
1. get ryzen or kabylake (up to your preference) (i7 7700K excels in gaming while ryzen 1800x mostly all around multithreading unit)
2. SSD will only help in system booting ( like when u copy things, and opening programs and loading your game) but that's it, if u need more POWW in your FPS, this is not what u need. here's some proof: www.pcgamer.com/how-do-ssds-affect-gaming-performance/
3. since i'm not experienced in water cooler, if u still want to use water cooling, read this first: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky