AMD A10-7870k possible heating problem

rougphantom

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
I have an AMD A10-7870k processor and the water cooler I have on it is a Corsair H110i GTX. My cpu is not overclocked.

Currently I'm sitting at 45c-52c temps with just google and CPUID open.

The reason I am making this is because while I was on a game I was getting temps that were over 100c. I turned my computer off, and pulled the radiator out and dusted the whole thing off and that seems to have fixed it.

So my questions are:

1. Normally I will get 75c temps on this cpu under load. Is that ok for this cpu, and is this in the expected temp range for AMD cpu's?
2. Is my water cooler truly working as hard as it can to handle the temps, and if not how would I find out?
3. Should I start thinking about switching over to Intel cpu's, and or buying a new cooler?
4. Finally; If everything is working as it should, how often should I blow the dust out of the radiator to maintain good performance?

If you need additional information please let me know.

What are you using to measure temps? AMD Overdrive is the only program that can give accurate readings of FM2+ chips, and it doesn't give degrees C, but instead shows "thermal margin". With thermal margin, larger numbers are better, because the closer to zero it gets, the closer you are to overheating.

Use AMD Overdrive to tell if you are having temperature issues. The Thermal Margin is what you need to watch. It reads backward from a normal temp monitoring program so When it reaches 0°C your CPU will start to throttle to cool itself off. This is the most reliable way to monitor AMD CPU temperatures, it even has a logging feature so you can play a game and see what the temps do.

Dusting/Blowing out your radiator should be done quarterly. Every 3 months or so. Make sure you clean the fan blades also to help keep them as efferent as possible.