Help Me Pick A 4K Monitor

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Good morning all,

I need some more advice before I pull the trigger on one of the two following 4K displays:

Dell P2715Q:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PC9HFO8/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1Y287T8HJ2TMZ&colid=34GVFMCUUGWY2

OR

ASUS PG27AQ:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AWGY9MG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I476UPD1CMW4P&colid=34GVFMCUUGWY2

I have done lots of research on both displays and each has their own pros/cons but I wanted to hear from the community on this one. I have a GTX 1070 so I would be able to utilize the G-SYNC function on the ASUS display but I mostly play turn-based strategy games with the occasional AAA title (maybe 1 or 2 a year) and I don't play any competitive first-person shooters. Both displays are within my budget but I would like to keep the cost down and put any extra cash towards a larger SSD. I guess it really comes down to whether or not the G-SYNC function is worth the extra $300; not to mention that the Dell display is calibrated from the factory and has a much better quality control history.

It seems to me that if I get the ASUS display then I will always be wondering how much better the color representation of the Dell would be and if I get the Dell then I will always wonder how G-SYNC would be. I've never experienced G-SYNC in person so any personal experience advice about that would be great.

Thanks for any input.

Even with a gtx 1070, you will be struggling to run modern games (even strategy) at 4K and close to high-ultra settings. G-sync is definitely worth it and I find it essesntial to keep a smooth gameplay experience especially at such a demanding resolution (I use a freesync monitor but from what I've read g-sync is more smooth). I don't suggest paying close to 900USD for any 4K 60Hz monitor right now since HDR monitors will be released soon. What I can recommend you to buy right now is the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz as it will provide a much superior gaming experience (higher fps and no issues with the scaling of programs and apps)- even if you cannot maintain 165Hz at 1440p you will probably can with an upgrade in the not so near future. Overall it is a better investment in my opinion.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
Might be a good idea to check out the monitors in person.
I have a 1440p monitor and its great.
I dont have anything against 4k monitors but I would rather buy a 4k tv for movies and 1080/1440 for gaming.
As for the G-sync, my understanding of it is that the images you see are smooth and eliminates tearing/stutter when frames drop or fluctuates by syncing frame signals going to the monitor. The way I look at this is if you have a G-sync monitor, you have the best technology and can expect best performance.

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Thanks for the input guys. I have looked up many benchmarks and issues with 4K resolutions for the games I mostly play and the GTX 1070 could handle them at 30 FPS easily (with some settings turned down) but the UI scaling is just not there and many people complain about the text being too small in-game with developers stating that they are not going to add 4K support in the future. Because of this, I have decided to look at 1440p monitors and the ASUS PG279Q seems to be the best of the best. The one thing that kills me about that monitor is that it costs only 80 dollars less than the 4K variant; at least on Amazon.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

4k @ 60hz
1440 @ 144hz+

The value is much better on the Asus 1440p 165Hz monitor. You will be fps limited at 4K and will want to upgrade very soon. Why not have a very smooth gameplay experience with high fps versus a pretty but console like experience with 4K @30fps. You won't care about the extra pixels if the experience is not very enjoyable.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

yup yup.
thats why I would rather spend money on a 55-60'' 4K tv for watching and 1080/1440 for gaming