Major problem after overclocking RAM windows constantly crashing blue screen

The_Contact

Prominent
May 27, 2017
This is my first pc builld in a long time. Any patience would be appreciated. I'm just gonna go over some things to make sure I have the right information. So I have:

- Asus maximus ix hero
- Corsair H110i water pump as it was all I could afford
- Corsair Ax 860 modular power suppy
- Corsair Graphite 780t
- Corsair vengeance 2x8 3200MHz 2 packs to total 4x8 (I reported this on the forums the other day and someone told me I shouldn't have two separate packs. I checked the bios and they all reported back running at a lower speed. 2133mhz) THIS SEEMS TO BE THE PROBLEM.
- A evga geforce 1080 FTW (Not FTW2) As far as I know these fans are not coming on.

Ok so problems started when I first thought that installing the kaby lake cpu the mother board would not recognize the cpu as I was told online so I had to go through the trouble in the bios of flashing the bios. I ended up using the EZ tool in the bios to flash the bios and then had to go back into the bios and force it to boot from the windows 10 usb in order to get it to run the installation for windows 10 because the bios were reading the h110i pump on AIO pump instead of cpu fan. So I transfered the three pin connector for the pump to cpu fan and everything ran alright except when installing drivers sometimes it would blue screen.

Today the pc is about two days old. I noticed in the bios that the RAM was reading 2133mhz as well as some other figures that didn't look like I was running the RAM full bore so I went into the bios and activated XMP and nothing happened in EZ mode the ram showed that it was stil at 2133mhz but when I rebooted and checked the CPUID ROG CPUZ and checked the ram its reading 3200MHZ.

Happy in my ignorance went to show a buddy how easy it was to overclock ram and booted into bios. Upon resetting I was greeted by a blue screen then another then another. I went back into my bios and changed the RAM settings back and was greeted by continuous blue screens. PTE_MISUSE and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA. I eventually ended up only being able to Over clock the ram to get it to boot windows and the thing is idling now. I pulled up CPUZ and this is what I got.

Type DDR4 Channel# Dual
Size 32768 MBytes
NB Frequency all over the place. 800.2 MHz
DRAM frequency 1600.5MHz
FSB:DRAM 1:24
CL 16.0 clocks
tRCD 18 clocks
tRP 18 clocks
tRAS 36 clocks
tRFC 560 clocks
CR 2T

So my best guess is that I need to remove two of the sticks of ram and run dual seeing as it seems to only able to run in dual. And I'm guessing I need to flash the bios in order to clear the overcliock settings for the RAM? Would I need to reinstall windows too?

I know you guys are some of the most knowledgable people for these kinds of things and I differ to your judgement. This was kind of a newbie move. How bad could the damage be?

Grugbug

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Unplug the PSU and remove the CMOS battery for 10 or so minute, reinstall the battery and plug back in and load default BIOS settings and go from there.

The_Contact

Prominent
May 27, 2017
What is the purpose of this? Is this to rest the bios? And what if I keep the battery out too long? Honestly I don't know as much about computers as I thought I did. Do I need to uninstall windows and reinstall? Should I have not used XMP? I'm gonna do that and see what happens but what should I do about the RAM?

Grugbug

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
You're just setting the BIOS back to the default settings. Don't worry if you leave the battery out for a bit longer, it will not mess anything up.
You will not need to reinstall Windows unless the previous settings in the BIOS corrupted the install.

The_Contact

Prominent
May 27, 2017
I just spent an hour on the phone with asus tech support for mother boards. So I went ahead and cleared the cmos and removed the two sticks of ram and it still keeps blue screening. It takes a couple tries to get my pc up and running. It was a bit of a pain to remove the FTW edition and pull the battery out. Honestly this has been fun learning. Both times I cleared the cmos kept the same bios update and tried to launch windows only to be blue screened. It's worth mentioning that both times that I ended up clearing the cmos both times I ended up turning on XMP which is the goal here. Both times this happened. I have a purpose for this pc and really want to get XMP to work. We kind of came to a conclusion but I would like to see what the forum can come up with here.

XMP settings are for one kit not two. Corsair guarantees the rated speeds of any memory to be obtainable only in the kit it is sold in. If you are adding an additional set of memory, the rated timings may not work due to the extra stress on the memory controller. Therefore, you will need to relax the timings and/or frequencies in order to get 2 sets of memory to work. Another option you may need to do is increase the dram voltages or reducing the CPU multiplier.

The_Contact

Prominent
May 27, 2017
Yeah at this point I am using two sticks of ram. I have xmp enabled for those two sticks. I reset the cmos. Are those two sticks say.....if they worked when they don't I'm still blue screening fine are they fine being broken off from the other two sticks as long as I know that they are from the same pack?

The_Contact

Prominent
May 27, 2017
ok so now I started to check the ram slots I noticed that dimm slot a2 doesnt seem to want to hold the ram in place I inserted one of the packs into dimm a1 and b1 and it booted a good three times before blue screening. I finally saw something too. A window in c prompt seems to pop up.

c:\program files (x86)\asus\aura\AsRogAuraGpuDllServer pops up every time. When that cuts out I go to blue screen could that be causing the problem?

The_Contact

Prominent
May 27, 2017
So today after fiddling with it all day I have two ram sticks installed no XMP and a bunch of things to do. Instal one stick at a time in every DIMM slot and then reinstall windows possibly send the mother board back to where I bought it and possibly the ram back too on the first time I have ever installed a water block.

eyupo92

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
You are wasting your time. When Windows gets into a BSOD sequence a few times, it gets damaged and reverting back to previously working hardware does not do anything.

Try repairing Windows. If does not work, reinstall it. See what happens

The_Contact

Prominent
May 27, 2017
Well I have everything working now no need to repair windows and I got it to work on both xmp and without 10 out of 10 boots. The bios under advanced is saying that my processor is running at 4.5 mhz but both windows and cpuz is telling me that the processor is set to 4.2 mhz but it seems to flictuate to 4.5 mhz every once in a while.