27inch 1080p 144hz or 24 inch 1080p 240hz

Joshua Guerra

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
I know have been posting several threads about this topic. I am having a hard time making a choice on what display I want to buy. I have ordered a 1080ti, and I am currently using a 970 with an Acer XB271h. My current monitor that I own was so that I could play league of legends at 144hz ( I have until next week to return it) The other game that I play is Rainbow Six Siege. After seeing how smooth 144hz was I was amazed and then searched for a monitor that has 240hz. I really love the size of the 27inch but people tell me that 1080p does not look good at that resolution. I sit about an arm and a half length from my desk to my monitor. I do not think that League of Legends supports 1440p either. My main goal is to have the best performance, resolution does not matter to be as much now that I have seen how smooth 144hz is. To achieve 240hz in both the games that I play on a constant basis would I have to upgrade my CPU? I seem to prefer frame rates and smoothness over resolution, but I love the 27 inch monitor size. I also like to play my games at max settings and maintain as high of a frame rate that I can. Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I buy the Acer Xb252Q or the 1440p 144hz Acer ...or just stick with what I have? ( Acer XB271h)

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Josh

Here are my current specs:
i7-4790k
16GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 970
Display Acer XB271H

Solution
I'm no expert at this, just offering my opinion. A 1080ti would be way overkill for single monitor 1080p 144 Hz wouldn't it? It may be good for 240 Hz and if you end up getting the xb252q I would be interested in feedback because it was one I considered, and may still consider buying (but very expensive!). I have a GTX 1070 and didn't think I could make use of 240 Hz for the games I play, wouldn't get up that high. But 1080p at 24.5" may be acceptable at 89 PPI and at least I can run ultra and get reasonably high FPS and the text won't look small. Personally I don't think 27" 1080p would look that nice, but I haven't used it. If smoothness and high FPS for competitive gaming is the goal maybe that's fine. I think you are in conflict...

True Buie

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016
Heyo Joshua Guerra

Personally I find 240hz a fine gimmick. I don't believe you'll find that much of a difference between 144 and 240, but then again that's just my opinion. The big jump is from 60 to 100+.
I'd say find a nice 1440p 144hz monitor and be happy.
Cheers

IntergalacticSpy

Prominent
May 16, 2017
I'm no expert at this, just offering my opinion. A 1080ti would be way overkill for single monitor 1080p 144 Hz wouldn't it? It may be good for 240 Hz and if you end up getting the xb252q I would be interested in feedback because it was one I considered, and may still consider buying (but very expensive!). I have a GTX 1070 and didn't think I could make use of 240 Hz for the games I play, wouldn't get up that high. But 1080p at 24.5" may be acceptable at 89 PPI and at least I can run ultra and get reasonably high FPS and the text won't look small. Personally I don't think 27" 1080p would look that nice, but I haven't used it. If smoothness and high FPS for competitive gaming is the goal maybe that's fine. I think you are in conflict though if you say you want max settings also. If you want it to look good you may be better off with a 1440p 27".

I ended up buying last night the Dell s2417dg (1440p 23.8"). Huge PPI, maybe too big, I have 125% scaling on but a few things look small, I have to see if I can get used to it. Plus some games so far scale well but others have tiny HUD elements. Anyway I am still evaluating, I have 30 days. My point though is although I did seem to need to reduce ultra to very high in a few settings, 1440p so far looks amazing, plus the g-sync.

BTW: I play ME Andromeda and Ghost Recon Wildlands at the moment (and Planetside 2). On Wildlands with the new setup I get around 55-70 FPS at mostly very high settings with my MSI Gaming X 1070 at slightly higher than factory OC mode. This is the most demanding game I have. I haven't tried ME yet. Planetside is all over the place so it's hard to tell and I don't think the higher resolution helps that game too much, the textures look blah compared to Wildlands.

Solution