What is best monitor to reduce headaches (but not from blue light)?

torcidala

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I have had problems for several years getting headaches in just a few minutes from screens (phones, tablets and computer monitors). I have used F.LUX and have used blue light filtering glasses and neither helps.

I’ve used many different laptops and desktop monitors, but never really noticed which features helped delay the onset of headaches the best. I had a job with a BenQ monitor and it wasn’t that bad (VW2430-B) , but know that newer monitors claim they have features that reduce eye strain.

Does anyone know of a monitor that reduces eye fatigue when blue light isn’t the culprit?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ditt44

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
ASUS features both the low blue light and flicker free function. I think most manufactures do as well in their higher end monitors. Brightness and contrast settings can also help. I have similar issues but more so vertigo and I have to be careful with my settings at home and work. Normally at work I have my brightness turned down and try to eliminate 'white' in large masses, using Firefox I set the background defaults to a lighter grey. Overhead lighting/room lighting may add to the effect as well.

The other thing to consider, if you have multiple monitors, is that they are set at the same refresh rate. Variances can cause eye strain and this affects people differently. Many of us spend too much time starring at devices. The best thing you can do is take breaks as often as possible and let your eyes rest, simply looking at other things or walking around, going outside for a bit.

So... Blue light, flicker state, refresh rate, brightness, rest/other diversions.

torcidala

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Thanks for the advice, Ditt44. I looked up how to change my bright white backgrounds based on your email and found a Google Chrome extension/app called "Care Your Eyes." My backgrounds are now a grey-ish color. I will see if that helps.

I also end up with something like vertigo - not just a headache. I feel as if I may be drunk or was just hit in the head. Definitely not to a bad degree, but also a sign that something isn't right.

Ditt44

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
If you are ever using multiple monitors, make sure their refresh rates are synced. Your age can be a factor as well, vascular changes, eyes aging, etc. Body fatigue levels, caffeine, etc can all conspire against you. I even have issues with my secondary monitor, on my left, being 'white' or even powered on at certain times depending on what game I'm playing. My eyes are happier with it off or with a darker background displayed. It is tough figuring out how to best cope with all the variables. Fluorescent lighting can play havoc as well, the varied hz in those things can mess with me. Heck, I get eye/brain fatigue and vertigo after too long in a shopping mall or large store. But then again, I've had multiple, sports related concussions so I'm fairly damaged as is.

pilyakaleks

Honorable
Mar 12, 2018

Hi! You know,you very much surprised me saying that the pain you have not passed. I have a similar problem, but I do not have a headache (although this happens) but cuts my eyes. I have almost half a year worth f. lux. Now I'm thinking about buying safety glasses. But most of all I was helped by eye drops ... I work in the office (9 hours a day) and 98 percent of my work is in the computer. So I understand you well.