Intel Sucker Punches Qualcomm With Its Own ‘Always On PC’ Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
"there was Shih, smiling alongside Intel’s Gregory Bryant, holding a shiny 2-in-1 that was equipped with an Intel processor and modem. Wham."

WHAM! Right in the wallet. Do you really think the 835 systems are competing head-to-head with these Intel Core-powered systems? They'll likely undercut them by $100-200 depending on segment. Where's the affordable Windows tablets and 2-in-1s - oh that's right, there's no more ULP Atoms... everything is high-dollar Core or higher-watt models. Or both expensive and higher watt. SD 835 isn't a miracle, but it will allow for Windows to land in a few segments that Intel was no longer targeting. When they support additional ARM processors that also means inexpensive and low-power tablets/hybrids/slimbooks. Basically, Chromebook/Android territory.

alithegreat

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
One of the biggest problem of the pc market is there is no competition on OS. Yeah it is troublesome to have more than one going around but, for years voice recognition, motion sensors did not arrive on PC just because windows domination. It's just like CPU Market.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I agree with ALITHEGRET. PC market has no competition in the OS market. It's Microsoft that needs genuine competition.

Also, neither extremes are true regarding Intel vs ARM for Windows PCs.

-Let's say even if Intel dies off tomorrow, it'll take decades for ARM to take over the PC market. What this announcement will allow is have Intel not take off its foot off the pedal regarding low-power PCs.

Also, they do have chips for the cheap 2-in-1s. Well, Tablets too. The Apollo Lake platform is used in few Tablets and its basically a value 2-in-1 platform. What they don't have is even lower power than that.

-If Intel does nothing though, they can be noticeably threatened.

Emulators have their limits. Even among Windows versions, compatibility issues exist that don't get fully addressed until years after the release. An entirely new instruction set will be worse. Intel will be fine as long as they don't completely ignore it.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
What we are really waiting to see happen is for Apple to finally replace the Macbook Air with an A10 powered version running either iOS or a hybrid MacOS. This would put the competition into perspective. And Apple could easily pull this off $600 and 18hrs of battery life. Intel has avoided selling low cost devices simply because they have been able to get away with it.

sh4dow83

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
I feel like I'm missing something.
My MacBook is already "always on"?
So is my Intel-powered workstation?
So is my smartphone?

What's the big deal?

x16 Gigabit LTE is something which sounds cool but is fairly pointless right now. Considering the cost of data you could theoretically blow through a months data in a few seconds. Does anyone even have a truly unlimited data plan for laptops?

Then given the limitations of the form factor. I can't think of anything you could do which would make use of a Gigabit internet connection. Unless you were running an Web/FTP server over LTE.

Status
Not open for further replies.