Help with getting a monitor for gaming

gazza1988

Honorable
May 31, 2017
Hello I'm getting a gaming pc built for me from a friend of a friend (it's my birthday Saturday so the gf got it as a a surprise and told me because she is no tech savvy and got scared of all the terms)

I need to buy a new monitor for it.

I've tried researching and found so many different kinds of screen types, refresh rates, response times etc arguments over which input to use etc etc.

Basically I have a graphics card with dvi, hdmi and displaypoint. I'm not "allowed" to know what card it is or anything like that.

Anyway onto my question. I understand that different screens are ideal for different scenarios.

I play mainly rpg (elder scrolls, fallout, and want to play star wars tor) and also games like football manager, total war series, command and conquer sid meir series.

What kind of monitor should I be looking for? I've got a budget of around £100 for it.

I'll be using is for general surfing etc. Ideally I would like to leave the hdmi port spare so I can connect if to the main TV without swapping cables around fun watching movies (the plan is to get a cheap blue Ray drive rather than a dedicated blueray player.

Solution
They're 3 main types of monitors, about panel (the thing behind the glass screen that makes it show dark elf instead of your face):
TN: Dull and "like-crap", but best for multiplayer games like CS:GO or COD.
VA: Beautiful picture with great contrast.
IPS: The "Ipad" screen, consistent look, clean, and very defined and right. Best advantage is it's same despite the angles you look at, even the extreme, like you're walking on New York street on sidewalk then look straigth up at the ad IPS screen slightly right and still wanna eat it.

with £100 IPS is second-hand maybe for threshold of goodness, I would go with VA - Benq GW2265HM...

Tu Pham

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
They're 3 main types of monitors, about panel (the thing behind the glass screen that makes it show dark elf instead of your face):
TN: Dull and "like-crap", but best for multiplayer games like CS:GO or COD.
VA: Beautiful picture with great contrast.
IPS: The "Ipad" screen, consistent look, clean, and very defined and right. Best advantage is it's same despite the angles you look at, even the extreme, like you're walking on New York street on sidewalk then look straigth up at the ad IPS screen slightly right and still wanna eat it.

with £100 IPS is second-hand maybe for threshold of goodness, I would go with VA - Benq GW2265HM https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2270-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B019EFMK1I/ref=sr_1_13?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1496353619&sr=1-13&keywords=benq&th=1. TN is most common out there, on laptops (besides Mac, which is IPS), so you know it if you have used computer before. VA if you want something new it's the least common and just a bit more expensive than TN, it's my fav Im a geek. Going with TN is good though cause it's cheap so the money will get it good, it will look better than your laptop's screen if it's Dell. Monitors look better than laptop screens anyway.

** More for you: Get equal level hardware/components, or else you'll get stutter and maybe bottlenecks. If it explodes then your stuffs went through Egypt.

Solution