Severe CPU overheating under almost no load.

Boston_98

Prominent
May 31, 2017
Hey guys I've had this PC for 3.5 years now and this is the second time I've had the problem. After having the computer for 5 months I noticed it would always shut off when playing games and realized the closed loop water cooler I have was broken. I replaced it and there have been no problems up until last week. Last week was the first time I booted up my computer in about 4-5 weeks(I took my computer to my sisters place for her to take home because I had limited car space so I only used my laptop for those weeks). This week I noticed an extreme decline in performance and the computer even shot off once so I assumed it was the cpu temp and I was correct. I downloaded RealTemp 3.7 and saw very high temperatures (mid 80's) with loads under 20%. The light above the pump is working so I assume the pump is pumping the water, I dusted the computer to make sure air flow was optimal, and I even replaced the thermal paste. This was no help, right now I currently have only 2 tabs open, YouTube and this website, putting my load under 5% and the temperatures are all in the low 80's! I have no clue what the problem could be, I have a i7 4820K cpu any advice would be spectacular, thank you.

Boston_98

Prominent
May 31, 2017

How do I do that?