Closed

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Graphics Card Roundup

While we're starting off with just four boards, this roundup will continue to grow as more GeForce GTX 1070 graphics cards arrive at our lab in Germany.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Graphics Card Roundup : Read more
26 answers Last reply
More about nvidia geforce gtx 1070 graphics card roundup
  1. Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 and Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming pics are switched ! Did I win something? a job?
  2. Disagree entirely about the 1070 being good value. It's the worst value in the 10-series lineup. $400 for a 1070 is objectively a bad value when $500 gets you into a 1080.
  3. TheRev MasterOne said:
    Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 and Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming pics are switched ! Did I win something? a job?

    The filenames of the images are actually swapped as well, weird - fixed now, thanks!
  4. Are you guys serious!?? You recommend a 1070 card that costs $530 which isn't even available in the U.S? That sorta cash gets you a much quicker GTX 1080! The controversy on this site is just non stop. If your BEST CPU's list wasn't enough already...
  5. I wonder how the Gigabyte 1070 mini compares to the other mini cards like the Zotac and MSI unit?
  6. barryv88 said:
    Are you guys serious!?? You recommend a 1070 card that costs $530 which isn't even available in the U.S? That sorta cash gets you a much quicker GTX 1080! The controversy on this site is just non stop. If your BEST CPU's list wasn't enough already...

    This is a roundup of all the 1070's we've tested. The graphics card roundups originate with our German bureau and are re-posted in the UK, so they'll sometimes include EU-only products - I'm guessing they're appropriately priced to the competition in their intended markets.

    The Palit received the lowest level award - the Asus, the MSI, and one of the Gigabyte boards are better options.
  7. eglass said:
    Disagree entirely about the 1070 being good value. It's the worst value in the 10-series lineup. $400 for a 1070 is objectively a bad value when $500 gets you into a 1080.


    The 1080 , like it's predcessors (780 and 980) has consistently been the red headed stepchild of the nVidia lineup. So much so that nVidia even intentionally nerfed the performance of the x70 series because its performance was so close to the x80.

    The 1080 has dropped in price because, sitting as it does between the 1080 Ti and the 1070... it doesn't exactly stand out. When the 780 Ti came out, the price of the $780 dropped $160 overnight, so much so that I immediately bought two of them and the two sets of game coupons knocked $360 off my XMas shoping list. At a net $650, it was a good buy.

    Using the 1070 FE as a reference and the relative performance data published by techpowerup for example.....Used MSI Gaming model since it is one model line where TPU reviewed all 3 cards

    The $404 MSI 1070 Gaming X is 104.2% as fast as the 1070 FE
    The $550 MSI 1080 Gaming X is 128.2% as fast as the 1070 FE
    The $740 MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X is 169.5% as fast as the 1070 FE

    So the cost per dollar for comparable quality designs is:

    MSI 1070 Gaming X = 104.2 / $404 = 0.258
    MSI 1080 Gaming X = 128.2 / $550 = 0.233
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X = 169.5 / $740 = 0.229

    Even at $500 .. the 1080 only comes in 2nd place at 0.256, so no, the better value argument doesn't hold, even assuming we were getting an equal quality card.

    Looked at other comparable as a means of comparison and they are for the most par equal or higher ....

    Strix at $420, $550 and $780
    AMP at $435, $534 and $750

    Now with any technology, eeking those last bits of performance out anything always comes at a increased cost. You more of a cost premium going from Gold to Platinum rating on a PSU than you do from Bronze to Silver of even Gold. It's simply another example of Law of Diminishing Returns. So we should expect to pay more per each performance gain with each incremental increase and that hold here. You'd expect that for each increase in performance the % increase in price per dollar would get bigger. But the x80 is quite an aberration.

    We get a whopping 10.7 drop of 0.025 from the 1070 to the 1080
    We get a rather teeny 1.7 drop of 0.004 from the 1080 to the 1080 Ti

    Therefore, logically.... you are paying a 10.7% cost penalty for the increased performance to move up to from the 1070 to 1080 ... whereas the cost penalty for the increased performance to move up to from the 1080 to 1080 Ti is only 1.7% This is why eacxh time the Ti has been introduced, 1080 sales have tanked.

    Another way t look at it...

    1070 => 1080 = 23% performance increase for $146 ROI = 15.8%
    1080 => 1080 Ti = 32% performance increase for $190 ROI = 16.8 %

    It's not a matter **if** you can get **a** 1080 at $500., it's whether you can get the one you want. How is it that the $550 models have more sales than the less expensive ones ? Some folks don't care about noise, some folks don't OC, some folks hope they will be able to get the full performance available to us **if** someone ever comes out with a BIOS editor. And yes, there will cards that are heavily discounted for any number of reasons ... low factory clock, noise or heat concerns , some have taken some hits from bad reviews or are discounted simply because sales are poor .... but if a card is selling well below the average price it is because it's not as well made or just isn't selling for real or imagined issues. (example being EVGA SC / FTW ACX designs are now fixed but but EVGA still has a black eye from the earlier cooler problems and if buying EVGA, peeps want iCX. Finally, the 1080 bears the burden of being compared with the 780 and 980 whicc again got lost between the higher / lower cards.

    Given the above ROI numbers, I am surprised that all the 1080s have not dropped below $500. But to my eyes, the `080 only starts to make sense when the cost is below $520 and **the ones I'd buy** just aren't there yet
  8. Yea I refuse to buy a 1070 because they are overpriced, period. I almost bought a 1080 but judging from the performance difference it simply wasn't worth it, either. There is not much a 1080 will do that a 1070 won't. What I mean is - a 1060 will run 1080p fine. With that in mind, a 1080 gives very marginal benefit at 2k, and neither one will run 4k smoothly - so what's the point.

    If the 1080 was a 350$ card, I might have bit, but as it stands now I'll be waiting for the 1080ti to drop a bit, which can run most games in 2k over 120fps - and justifying an upgrade from a GTX 700 series card. I'm not going to pay over $400 for a card that won't smoke my GTX 770... I can play all games on moderate settings now, so I want ultra settings at 2k that make use of a 144hz monitor - or bust.
  9. I`m using gigabyte 2 fan 1070 for over a year now and it`s really good, it`s good overclocker and is running at 1974 mhz overclock 24/7 and 8600 on ram, probably it would be able to go even higher but it`s fine for me :) It`s quiet but at around 50% fan speed it produces some strange vibration sound sometimes, it dosn`t bother me all that much tbh but it can be a little annoying.
  10. anyone else bothered that the 1070's are still at/above the launch MSRP from a year ago? this was spose to be a $380 card, but hasn't been, & looks it likely won't be till the next series is launched. feel like i'm gonna be stuck re-flow baking my 7970's back to life for a very, very long time...
  11. Krazie_Ivan said:
    anyone else bothered that the 1070's are still at/above the launch MSRP from a year ago? this was spose to be a $380 card, but hasn't been, & looks it likely won't be till the next series is launched. feel like i'm gonna be stuck re-flow baking my 7970's back to life for a very, very long time...


    That's a large part of why I'm not buying. I refuse to pay more than 350$ for a mid range card. Doing so you are only promoting price increases. The profit margin at MSRP is plenty...
  12. Adroid said:
    Krazie_Ivan said:
    anyone else bothered that the 1070's are still at/above the launch MSRP from a year ago? this was spose to be a $380 card, but hasn't been, & looks it likely won't be till the next series is launched. feel like i'm gonna be stuck re-flow baking my 7970's back to life for a very, very long time...


    That's a large part of why I'm not buying. I refuse to pay more than 350$ for a mid range card. Doing so you are only promoting price increases. The profit margin at MSRP is plenty...


    1070 isn`t mid tier tbh,I would put 1060 3gig and 6 gig in that spot as would vast majority of reviewers tbh, 1070 is the higher tier still , I would call it balanced high tier , both in price and performance, especially since it overclocks somewhat good... 1080 isn`t really high tier, it is enthusiast level.
  13. tyr8338 said:
    Adroid said:
    Krazie_Ivan said:
    anyone else bothered that the 1070's are still at/above the launch MSRP from a year ago? this was spose to be a $380 card, but hasn't been, & looks it likely won't be till the next series is launched. feel like i'm gonna be stuck re-flow baking my 7970's back to life for a very, very long time...


    That's a large part of why I'm not buying. I refuse to pay more than 350$ for a mid range card. Doing so you are only promoting price increases. The profit margin at MSRP is plenty...


    1070 isn`t mid tier tbh,I would put 1060 3gig and 6 gig in that spot as would vast majority of reviewers tbh, 1070 is the higher tier still , I would call it balanced high tier , both in price and performance, especially since it overclocks somewhat good... 1080 isn`t really high tier, it is enthusiast level.


    I agree - kinda. If the standard was still 1080p then the 1060 would be mid/high tier, the 1070 would be really high tier, and the 1080 would be pointless. As it is, as I said before, the 1080 benefits over the 1070 at 2k/4k are marginal and really not worth the extra 100$+ - you might as well shell out another 100$ for a 1080ti which is a much better purchase for 2k and above.

    The 1080 no longer qualifies as enthusiast level really in my opinion, as someone said earlier on this thread it's hayday was shortlived, and it only really held the recognition it did for a short time as it was the "fastest" card available for less than 1000$...

    Look at the benchmarks... There is little motivation to buy a 1080 over a 1070 at higher resolution - it won't run 4k that much better...
  14. Game Rock costs 90£ less in UK at scan.co.uk. ROG Stric 445£ and Game Rock 360£. You also get a G-Panel with Palit Game Rock, that a mega deal!
  15. I think this article accomplished its purpose, which was not to convince people to buy the GTX1070, but to suggest to those who have already selected this card which one they might like to buy, or what distinguishes one from another.
    Helping people choose from among various performance levels (e.g. 1060 vs. 1070 vs. 1080) would have been the subject of a different article.
  16. Surprised to not see Galax/KFA2 here, I bought a Galax EXOC SNPR 1070 earlier this year, cheapest board partner by far, great boost clocks out the box, even better overclocking & looks pretty.
  17. The reason that the 1070 is still so high priced is that A) it has been out for almost a year but AMD still has NOTHING to compete with it. And B) people are willing to pay for it. I'm hoping the Vega RX cards can perform well enough to introduce competition at this level again. That and, you know, maybe get released and become available.
  18. Adroid said:
    tyr8338 said:
    Adroid said:
    Krazie_Ivan said:
    anyone else bothered that the 1070's are still at/above the launch MSRP from a year ago? this was spose to be a $380 card, but hasn't been, & looks it likely won't be till the next series is launched. feel like i'm gonna be stuck re-flow baking my 7970's back to life for a very, very long time...


    That's a large part of why I'm not buying. I refuse to pay more than 350$ for a mid range card. Doing so you are only promoting price increases. The profit margin at MSRP is plenty...


    1070 isn`t mid tier tbh,I would put 1060 3gig and 6 gig in that spot as would vast majority of reviewers tbh, 1070 is the higher tier still , I would call it balanced high tier , both in price and performance, especially since it overclocks somewhat good... 1080 isn`t really high tier, it is enthusiast level.


    I agree - kinda. If the standard was still 1080p then the 1060 would be mid/high tier, the 1070 would be really high tier, and the 1080 would be pointless. As it is, as I said before, the 1080 benefits over the 1070 at 2k/4k are marginal and really not worth the extra 100$+ - you might as well shell out another 100$ for a 1080ti which is a much better purchase for 2k and above.

    The 1080 no longer qualifies as enthusiast level really in my opinion, as someone said earlier on this thread it's hayday was shortlived, and it only really held the recognition it did for a short time as it was the "fastest" card available for less than 1000$...

    Look at the benchmarks... There is little motivation to buy a 1080 over a 1070 at higher resolution - it won't run 4k that much better...

    I can agree with most points you`ve made but you`re forgeting that between 1080p and 2160p (4K) is the 1440p resolution wchich is much more accesible because you still can get 60 fps in most new games with most settings on ultra + some little compromises in most demanding settings and it`s what I`m using atm with my 1070, it`s huge upgrade over 1080p with around twice the detail and sharpness. 1080 would be even better for this resolution.
  19. tyr8338 said:
    Adroid said:
    tyr8338 said:
    Adroid said:
    Krazie_Ivan said:
    anyone else bothered that the 1070's are still at/above the launch MSRP from a year ago? this was spose to be a $380 card, but hasn't been, & looks it likely won't be till the next series is launched. feel like i'm gonna be stuck re-flow baking my 7970's back to life for a very, very long time...


    That's a large part of why I'm not buying. I refuse to pay more than 350$ for a mid range card. Doing so you are only promoting price increases. The profit margin at MSRP is plenty...


    1070 isn`t mid tier tbh,I would put 1060 3gig and 6 gig in that spot as would vast majority of reviewers tbh, 1070 is the higher tier still , I would call it balanced high tier , both in price and performance, especially since it overclocks somewhat good... 1080 isn`t really high tier, it is enthusiast level.


    I agree - kinda. If the standard was still 1080p then the 1060 would be mid/high tier, the 1070 would be really high tier, and the 1080 would be pointless. As it is, as I said before, the 1080 benefits over the 1070 at 2k/4k are marginal and really not worth the extra 100$+ - you might as well shell out another 100$ for a 1080ti which is a much better purchase for 2k and above.

    The 1080 no longer qualifies as enthusiast level really in my opinion, as someone said earlier on this thread it's hayday was shortlived, and it only really held the recognition it did for a short time as it was the "fastest" card available for less than 1000$...

    Look at the benchmarks... There is little motivation to buy a 1080 over a 1070 at higher resolution - it won't run 4k that much better...

    I can agree with most points you`ve made but you`re forgeting that between 1080p and 2160p (4K) is the 1440p resolution wchich is much more accesible because you still can get 60 fps in most new games with most settings on ultra + some little compromises in most demanding settings and it`s what I`m using atm with my 1070, it`s huge upgrade over 1080p with around twice the detail and sharpness. 1080 would be even better for this resolution.



    No, I think we agree on most points but my main argument is that the 1080 is not worth the cost jump from a 1070 for me. At 2k (aka 1440p) the 1080 does not give that great of frame gains, but it costs over 100$ more AFTER the price drop. Look at the two compared at 2k and 4k resolution:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti,4972-2.html

    I refuse to pay over MSRP for the 1070 a year after it is released, that sucks and I hope Vega gives Nvidia little wakeup call for no other reason than having the market cornered they are really taking advantage of the consumer.

    I think this article was a great read, and I think the 1070 is a great card. Price/performance wise the better buy is get a 1060 for 1080p, or 1080ti for 1440p or above. Just my opinion and I don't blame anyone if they disagree!
  20. Adroid said:
    tyr8338 said:
    Adroid said:
    tyr8338 said:
    Adroid said:
    Krazie_Ivan said:
    anyone else bothered that the 1070's are still at/above the launch MSRP from a year ago? this was spose to be a $380 card, but hasn't been, & looks it likely won't be till the next series is launched. feel like i'm gonna be stuck re-flow baking my 7970's back to life for a very, very long time...


    That's a large part of why I'm not buying. I refuse to pay more than 350$ for a mid range card. Doing so you are only promoting price increases. The profit margin at MSRP is plenty...


    1070 isn`t mid tier tbh,I would put 1060 3gig and 6 gig in that spot as would vast majority of reviewers tbh, 1070 is the higher tier still , I would call it balanced high tier , both in price and performance, especially since it overclocks somewhat good... 1080 isn`t really high tier, it is enthusiast level.


    I agree - kinda. If the standard was still 1080p then the 1060 would be mid/high tier, the 1070 would be really high tier, and the 1080 would be pointless. As it is, as I said before, the 1080 benefits over the 1070 at 2k/4k are marginal and really not worth the extra 100$+ - you might as well shell out another 100$ for a 1080ti which is a much better purchase for 2k and above.

    The 1080 no longer qualifies as enthusiast level really in my opinion, as someone said earlier on this thread it's hayday was shortlived, and it only really held the recognition it did for a short time as it was the "fastest" card available for less than 1000$...

    Look at the benchmarks... There is little motivation to buy a 1080 over a 1070 at higher resolution - it won't run 4k that much better...

    I can agree with most points you`ve made but you`re forgeting that between 1080p and 2160p (4K) is the 1440p resolution wchich is much more accesible because you still can get 60 fps in most new games with most settings on ultra + some little compromises in most demanding settings and it`s what I`m using atm with my 1070, it`s huge upgrade over 1080p with around twice the detail and sharpness. 1080 would be even better for this resolution.



    No, I think we agree on most points but my main argument is that the 1080 is not worth the cost jump from a 1070 for me. At 2k (aka 1440p) the 1080 does not give that great of frame gains, but it costs over 100$ more AFTER the price drop. Look at the two compared at 2k and 4k resolution:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti,4972-2.html

    I refuse to pay over MSRP for the 1070 a year after it is released, that sucks and I hope Vega gives Nvidia little wakeup call for no other reason than having the market cornered they are really taking advantage of the consumer.

    I think this article was a great read, and I think the 1070 is a great card. Price/performance wise the better buy is get a 1060 for 1080p, or 1080ti for 1440p or above. Just my opinion and I don't blame anyone if they disagree!


    Generally speaking now is a very bad time to buy new graphic card, with Vega and Volta on the horizon now... There is good chance that soon something like geforce 2070 will over 1080 TI performance for half the price.
  21. I bought a Gigabyte Mini ITX OC last September. Its been a pretty good card and while it says its as loud as the Founder's Edition I rarely hear it's fan. I do hear its rather annoying coil "buzz" in certain games (like World of Warcraft). I'm about ready to sell it to try my luck at a different full size model.
  22. I don't know where some of these prices are coming from, I've seen the 1070 at $336 and I've seen the 1080 at $390. Both of these are good prices for the performance IMO. Prices I'd expect to see a year after the cards were released.
  23. I am surprised you didn't include any EVGA cards. I have a 1070 Sc ACX 2.0 and I got it for free when I sent in my 980 for warranty issue (I had OC'd it a little to much...lol). So far I have been able to outdo my 980 in test scores with a little OC on this card, so I am happy for now.....
  24. image for power consumption and temperatures not showing up. please fix
  25. There is something wrong with those prices. The Gigabyte Mini-ITX is the cheapest of the bunch around these parts. Over there, it is one of the most expensive ones, and that doesn't make sense.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics