Need some help with picking the right budget GPU for my need.

johnnyle

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
Hi all,

I am going to get a GPU for my desktop asap as my machine doesn't have one atm, and I am having problem with choosing which one I should get.
I will be playing some games like GTA, BF... so I think I won't need much of the power from those top range cards.
I have the core i7-6700 and 650w psu so I think it should be enough for any budget GPU.
I have been searching for reviews and I have a few options in hand for my budget with the price is in Australian Dollar.

1. Gigabyte 1050 ti G1 Gaming OC 4gb ($225)
2. MSI 1050 ti Gaming X 4gb ($245)
3. Asus Strix 1050 ti 4gb ($259)
4. Asus 1060 Dual Fan OC 3gb ($285-$300, but I can redeem $40 Steam voucher to bring it down to $245-$260)

I know for those 3 1050 ti cards, the performance is similar, so the Gigabyte one has the best value. But how about the cooling system for better temperature and other pros or cons, as this machine will be running 24/24 (not gaming all the time tho).
About the 4th option, I am not so sure as I couldn't find much helpful review of it, but it has a good value for a 1060 card I think. I read a few review on Amazon, quite a few people had problem with the card failure and the heating problem, which makes me worry as the machine is running non-stop. Does it worth to wait for a bit longer to have more fund to go for the better known Gigabyte 1060 G1 Gaming 3gb (around $309)?

This is my 1st time building a PC and getting a GPU by myself, also my 1st post in this forum as well. So please let me know if anything is inappropriate.

Thanks in advance.

First off, the fact you plan to play esports means NOTHING if you follow it up by saying 'Oh yeah, and GTA and BF too' hahaha. You buy for the most demanding games you play, if you play less demanding games then they will work with any card that can handle the demanding games.

So, in your case, it's more correct to say you need a card that can play GTA and BF, no need to mention the esports games. You are correct in saying you don't need to buy an expensive 1050 Ti, since you'll get much the same performance from the less expensive one. How many hours a day the computer is running makes no difference if there is no load on the videocard. The load is what causes heat to build up, no load, no heat.

A 1060, even the 3gb version, is a substantial upgrade from the 1050 Ti. If you can get one for much the same price(using that Steam voucher) I'd do that. I have had good experience with Asus products, so I would not have a problem buying their 1060. You have a new-ish i7, you could get good use out of a 1060.

johnnyle

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017

Thanks, I edited my main post to make it more relevant, So basically, I should go ahead with the Asus 1060 for the performance of 1060s and great value. I saw a feel review and this card temp can be around 7x degree when gaming, Is it normal temp for a GPU at high load?

Thanks again.

Temps in that range aren't bad, nothing to worry about.

It is true though that some models include better cooling than others, that's part of what you're paying for when you buy more expensive models. The ambient temperature in your environment and the airflow in your case also play a part. So your temps may be very different than the ones in the reviews. If your priority is lower temps, there's nothing wrong with that. You might have to pay a bit more is all.

johnnyle

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017

Thanks for the advice. i went to pick up the 1060 card anyway. Seems nice in hand, now just need to wait to see how it performs. Thanks