New Win10 install hangs on mobo splash screen

openexpression

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Hi there,

I've built a new PC with 100% new parts, new (legit retail) Windows 10 Home USB, etc. However, it does not work! I've built my own PC in the past, but I'm pretty noob.

When I turn on my computer, here's what happens:

1. Mobo splash screen shows up.
2. It then goes to black screen with some white text, asking what I want to install. Since the comp is booting from my Windows 10 USB drive, the comp asks if I want to install 64 bit or 32 bit, so I choose 64 bit. I hit ENTER.
3. The screen then says loading files and the progress bar goes to 100%.
4. The mobo splash screen appears again, with animated dots circling (indicating loading). But within 1-2 seconds, the dots spot circling. The entire splash screen has frozen. Even if I press the power button on my computer case, the comp won't turn off. I cannot continue with Windows installation. The only way I can restart is if I go to the power supply and flick off the switch.

What can I do?

I went into my BIOS and noticed that it says my ram is 8gb x 2 in slots 2 and 4. BIOS shows 8gb per slot that I've installed RAM in, yet I think the BIOS also shows the overall ram is only 8gb. Shouldn't it be 16gb total? Or am I reading it wrong?

I also noticed the BIOS only sees ONE of my hard drives: the Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD attached via SATA cable. It does not see my Samsung 960 EVO 500gb SSD NVMe installed in my mobo's m.2 slot. I'm not sure why! Could this be the issue? (But i read that most ppl can't see their NMVe in the BIOS).

In the MSI manual, it says due to chipset issues, I can't use a USB to boot, so I also tried making a bootable Windows 10 iso. But when I tried that, the Windows logo showed up and then froze (the circling dots just spotted).

Then I went back to the BIOS and enabled Windows 10 WQHL support, which then showed a different mobo splash screen. Before, it had a MSI graphic of some lava or some gamer-ish thing, but now it's just a black screen with the letters MSI. The circling dots take awhile to appear (several minutes), but they too freeze in a few seconds after appearing. The DVD drive also spots spinning, which seems like it's no longer trying to read it.

Can't get past the installation of Windows 10!

Here are my specs:
Mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700X
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz (2x8gb)
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850 watts
Case: Corsair 570X
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
GPU: ASUS Dual Series 8gb GDDR5 OC edition Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 (Dual-GTX1070-O8G)
TV Tuner card: AverMedia TV Tuner card via PCI-e
Slim External DVD reader/writer from ASUS that plugs in via two USBs (they said to plug in two ports at same time to give it enough power...the cable is weird...it's one cable with a mini USB end that splits into two full-sized USB heads)

The only thing I have attached when I boot up is my Windows 10 USB (to a USB 3 port) if I was trying to use the USB bootable drive and my keyboard (also to USB 3). I don't even have a mouse connected.

Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
Go back inside the case and double check all connections and card seatings. Especially the memory modules.

I would expect to see 16 GB of RAM as I understand your description of things.

Do you have the motherboard manual/installation guide? Use that as a guide to ensure that all connections are physically correct. Sometimes new connections feel or appear to be in place but really are not.

Simplify the initial start by removing the TV Tuner Card, second (Samsung) SSD, and the external DVD drive. Maybe even the GPU.

The objective is to get Windows 10 installed and operational. Then add in the other components one at a time. By doing so any immediate problems can be addressed and you move on to the next component. Step by step.....

Even though you have all new parts it is still possible that something is defective.

openexpression

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Thank you.

The BIOS sees both ram sticks and each shows as a separate 8gb, but the BIOS also says current dram size is 8gb. Not sure if it's supposed to say 16gb.

I will remove tv card and other ssd, but I need the gpu to see my screen. Ryzen cpu has no integrated graphics, so I need something to get a video signal.

For the external dvd player, I think I need that too, since the mobo manual says booting from USB is not possible due to chipset.

Ralston18

Titan
As I understand the specs your motherboard has two built-in video ports:

DVI-D and HDMI (1.4).

Reference:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144030

However, I also found that the Ryzen does not support those ports as you stated.

Reference:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3356825/run-ryzen-1700-graphics-card.html

Something else per your original post:

"2. It then goes to black screen with some white text, asking what I want to install. Since the comp is booting from my Windows 10 USB drive, the comp asks if I want to install 64 bit or 32 bit, so I choose 64 bit. I hit ENTER."

And in your post above you mentioned "For the external dvd player, I think I need that too, since the mobo manual says booting from USB is not possible due to chipset."

Leads me to believe I have missed something - how are you connecting the external DVD?

openexpression

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Yup, Ryzen does not have integrated graphics. The DVI-D and HDMI are useless on the mobo, which is why I have a discrete GPU (ASUS GTX 1070 Nvidia) that gives me a video signal.

I connected the external DVD writer via USB port.

Anyways, I fixed the problem. It turns out it was the RAM not being seated properly. Even though the BIOS recognized 8gb in each of my two slots, it showed only a total of 8gb rather than 16gb.

The problem was my AIO cooler was physically pressing against my ram in a weird way, so the ram wasn't making 100% proper connection with my mobo. With some rearranging (probably about half mm of difference), I got my cooler not to push against the ram so much. Voila, the BIOS now shows 16gb total ram and everything works fine!

Thanks for the help.