Upgrade current PC or buy a new one to play the games that are out this and next year?

jmfel1926

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015
Hi all,

my question has to do, as the title says, if i can upgrade my current built or have to buy a new one.

My current built is a i5 2500K, 12GB DDR3 1600Mhz, GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 motherboard from Gigabyte, Sapphire r9 290 tri-x 4gb GDDR5 and a 250 samsung evo ssd.

I play a lot of games and i will continue playing in the future.

I was about to buy a new pc but with the latest AMD gpu driver update i saw that most of the games that i could not play well (Ghost recon wildlands - Hitman, played before on medium settings) suddenly are playable with over 30fps on very high - ultra.

So, do you think i could just upgrade my GPU to a new 2017 model and give this pc some life for another year or two (but i want to be able to play the new games that will be out during 2017 in high+ settings) or i should just sell this one and buy a new modern pc?

Thanks a lot in advance.

If you sell the 290 you could probably find something relatively cheap, then either part out the desktop in the future or sell the whole rig.

I say go for it, if you have the money. 580s only cost like $250

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

the 290(x) have issues with the newest drivers where the core and memory is stuck at super low speeds

you should be EASILY playing all games at 1080p high+ settings 60 fps

install msi afterburner and turn on core/memory speed monitoring in the OSD and double check the 290 is reaching the speeds it should while playing a game

jmfel1926

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015

If it doesnt reach the levels it should what can i do? Do you think if i just upgrade my GPU with a, lets say nvidia 1080, will worth it for future proofing games?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

install older version of it's drivers

your cpu is not good enough for a 1080

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer with many participants tend to like many threads.
My guess is that your I5-2500K with an overclock is still a very viable gaming cpu.

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.