1080p gaming on 1440p 144hz monitor

SpideySound

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
Hello everybody! I am looking to upgrade my monitor! I currently have a GTX 1060 6gb, and a 1080p 60hz monitor. I want to upgrade my hardware and my monitor is first before my GPU, especially with Vega coming soon.

My question is this: how does 1080p gaming on a 1440p 144hz monitor work? Will i be able to utilize the 144hz because im at 1080p? is there a whole lot of blur with the down-scaling?

I will upgrade GPU later, but just wanted to see anyone's opinion or experience on the topic. I've heard all good things about going 144hz, and i want to purchase 1080ti next, or Vega if it turns out well enough, but need to upgrade monitor first. Thanks!

Solution
You can always downsample to a lower resolution than the monitor supports. Go into your display settings now and turn it down to 800 x 600 to see for yourself. The key is deciding if you want NVidia or amd NOW, as you will get a gysnch monitor for NVidia cards or freesynch monitors for the amd cards. They are not compatible with each other.

I recently did the jump to 1440 at 144 hz, then upgrading my card to the 1080Ti a few months later. Well worth it, you won't be disappointed.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
You can always downsample to a lower resolution than the monitor supports. Go into your display settings now and turn it down to 800 x 600 to see for yourself. The key is deciding if you want NVidia or amd NOW, as you will get a gysnch monitor for NVidia cards or freesynch monitors for the amd cards. They are not compatible with each other.

I recently did the jump to 1440 at 144 hz, then upgrading my card to the 1080Ti a few months later. Well worth it, you won't be disappointed.

Solution