System Service Exception BSOD

Juteee

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
Hello,

So to start it off, this is a newly built computer, 2-3 weeks old. I got many kinds of BSODs at first, the most common one are Kmode Exception not handled NTFS.sys and System Service Exception.

This only happens when I am playing new games, like The Witcher 3 or Overwatch. However, they freeze and then restart after a few second, beginning a restarting loop of those errors. When I first installed the graphics driver, my computer would get BSOD mid installation, doesn't matter if it was a manual install from a file, GeForce Experience app, or the Windows 10 update, so I think it might have something to do with the graphics driver.

I haven't reinstalled the Windows from scratch nor have I formatted the disk, because of reading about replies to other threads, so I just decided to post here for your opinions first before doing anything. I did however uninstall the graphics driver and install it from scratch again, and it would crash multiple times as before. The only way I managed to install it, both times, was through windows update. It downloads the driver, crashes mid installation, then after reset, the installation is done and I can see my GPU driver working properly in the device manager. I'd also install the updated driver from GeForce Experience app after that.

I think I solved the problem with kmode error (with the help of these forums) by uninstalling Nvidia HD Audio driver, so I haven't been able to replicate the error for the latest few crash dumps.

My specs are:
Asus Strix Gtx 1080 Ti
Intel i7-7700k
Corsair Vengeance 32 GB RAM
EVGA supernova 750 G2
Asus Hero IX
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
WD Black 2 TB

Here is a link to my latest crashes mini-dump file: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqqhtGWwbeoBgweirk80usH9LnlX

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is becoming quite bothersome to the say the least. Sorry to bother you but I think I can't solve this on my own.

Many thanks in advance.

Solution
I am not convinced its the drives then if the tests all came out clean

you might be best asking on https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/ - read the posting instructions at top. They have people there who understand dump files and who still aren't learning them :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
NTFS.sys - the file system. could mean its sata drivers

i can't read dumps but someone who can might look at them for you

Can you download and run who crashed - it will give us a glimpse of the errors you getting and might help us solve them

Copy/paste summary in here and I see what I can do :)

Did you do this to remove drivers for GPU - http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

was this an upgrade from win 7 or 8? If you haven't fresh installed since then it might be an old driver causing the grief. I don't know what you read about not fresh installing, its really not that scary, just time consuming to install everything again. Worth it if PC works aftyerwards

Juteee

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017

Hello again! I want to thank you one more time for trying to help me fix this problem, I really appreciate it.

So... I have downloaded and ran who crashed, and it gave me a list of errors and the drivers for whom the program thinks are the main culprits, I presume you already checked that in your second post so I'll just move on.

I just uninstalled the GPU driver through the control panel, it crashed once mid uninstallation, the I immediately ran the uninstallation again once pc rebooted, then it crashed once uninstallation was finished (at the window where it recommends you to restart your computer, ironically), and then it crashed one more time when I opened Chrome to reply to you just for good measure.

I downloaded the graphics driver from Nvidia site and will probably wait with the installation of it ubtil you tell me otherwise since I doubt it's the source of crashes cause my pc went into the crash loop while typing this message, which is why I'm now typing it on my phone and will link you crash dump files in the next post. It just goes into the loop for 3 restarts until it gets to the repair screen, I select restart my pc, and on the next restart it's fine.

As for the Corsair Link, I already did have the latest version, but still reinstalled it. Oh, I also scheduled the chkdsk c: /r command before I went out, but it only ran after I restarted the pc because of Link reainstallation. This all happened BEFORE moving on to uninstall the GPU and all the crashes.

Also, this was a clean installation, not upgrade or anything, the computer is brand new. I've been waiting for this computer for more than a year, so it's the reason I'm so unwilling to do the clean installation again. But it's exactly as you said, takes the whole day, but completely worth it if it works afterwards. I think novelty effectis just wearing off slowly and I just want my computer, so I'm willing to do it.

Will post a link to the dump files in the next post and I'm eagerly waiting for new suggestions.

Cheers!

Edit: I'm kinda lost... the Minidump folder hasn't changed it's contents. The location of the dump files was set to %systemroot%\MEMORY.DMP, with settings to not overwrite existing files nor delete them to free up memory. The date on MEMORY.dmp file is still the old one. Does that mean that the system would check for the location to save the files, seeing it was to be saved as a single file and finding that the file already exists, having the overwrite box unchecked, did nothing?

Edit 2: So I just did a clean reinstall of Windows 10, didn't want to just sit on my ass and thought that this might speed things up. I also figured out the problem with dump files, turns out the automatic type is saved to only one file, changed to small ones and left it at default minidump folder. Also, the computer crashed once since reinstallation and I literally didn't install or modify anything yet. Regretfully, the dump setting was still on automatic, and that file ends up having about 700 MB (???), so I doubt you'd want to check that one out yourself.

Ran it through Who Crashed:

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 04/06/2017 01:27:52 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Minidump.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (NTFS+0xC6EE7)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80909AC6EE7, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Second one:

On Sun 04/06/2017 01:55:28 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\DUMP3567.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x16BFD0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8032FA6F6A9, 0xFFFFD28162EFE580, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Here's the link to the dump files if you want to take a look at them (if the large one ever uploads):
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqqhtGWwbeoBgwwPMBk2gs8AOv65

Colif

Win 11 Master
Here are instructions for creating minidumps - follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server like you have been. But then gardenman seems to be coping

that one only mentions explorer and the kernel, they aren't going to crash by themselves normally

try running system file checker and see if it helps
open command prompt (Admin)
type sfc /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter

SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC.

Colif wishes Johnbl was around more, must have got sick of reading dump files. I am still working these out as I go along :)

Juteee

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017

Did all of those things, scan found nothing wrong, had about 3 crashes since the last message, one of them was after image repairs. I think nothing changed. I have Windows 10 Pro N edition, downloading the standard Pro edition, it crashed every time when it was on the step of creating ISO file, after downloading the contents.

Here are the reports:

On Sun 04/06/2017 15:25:30 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\060417-3718-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x16C310)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF801CE8E1BB9, 0xFFFFCD017F5C6580, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 04/06/2017 14:22:45 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\060417-15468-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8023B6F4335, 0xFFFF98009863A960, 0x0)

On Sun 04/06/2017 06:09:09 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\060417-14093-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8022EEECBB9, 0xFFFFB7809AF47580, 0x0)

Also, what do you think about this problem? http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2979397/bsod-day-ntfs-sys-ntoskrnl-exe.html

I could try installing the Windows 10 Pro on the HDD to see if the problem persists, or would it be better to first install the standard edition on the SSD as to not blame the SSD if the problem was in the N edition?

Juteee

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017

Hi, I just finished running the tests, HDD one took about 3 hours. Everything is fine and green.

Funnily, the pc didn't crash for the whole time tests were running, but the moment I initiated the download of windows like 5 mins ago, it crashed. Same error and everything.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am not convinced its the drives then if the tests all came out clean

you might be best asking on https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/ - read the posting instructions at top. They have people there who understand dump files and who still aren't learning them :)

Solution

Juteee

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017

Thank you all the same, Colif :)

...and gardenman too!

Have a good day!