Adding a second monitor

IvakaS

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
Hello everyone. I recently bought a new TV which has a VGA connection available. I decided to try and use it as a second monitor, but it seems that my computer won't recognize it.

Firstly, this is my hardware:
CPU: APU A10-5800K (with integrated graphics card)
GPU: msi Radeon R9 270
RAM: 8GB

I want to use the integrated graphics with the second monitor.
My primary monitor is connected to my GPU I currently use and I connected my second monitor through the VGA which is on the motherboard. Then, I restarted my PC but nothing happened. I tried looking at display options, but there is no second monitor there. Also, there's a "No signal from the computer" message coming from the monitor I want to connect.

Can you guys help me, please?

Solution
Your motherboard might not support using an iGPU and a dedicated GPU at the same time. You should check the mobo's BIOS if it does support enabling the integrated Graphics while your R9 270 is plugged in. Note that not all motherboards support this feature.

If not, then you have no choice but to entirely use the R9 270 as the source of all your video displays. Since your TV only has a VGA (analog signal) input and your MSI R9 270 GPU also has a DVI-I (analog and digital) output, it is ideal to connect those two ports with a cable + adapter as both have analog signals. Example...
Your motherboard might not support using an iGPU and a dedicated GPU at the same time. You should check the mobo's BIOS if it does support enabling the integrated Graphics while your R9 270 is plugged in. Note that not all motherboards support this feature.

If not, then you have no choice but to entirely use the R9 270 as the source of all your video displays. Since your TV only has a VGA (analog signal) input and your MSI R9 270 GPU also has a DVI-I (analog and digital) output, it is ideal to connect those two ports with a cable + adapter as both have analog signals. Example: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DVI-Cable-Adapter-DVIVGAMF/dp/B000067SOH/ref=pd_sim_147_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000067SOH&pd_rd_r=SZXTQR4XB7JYJTDJBA4W&pd_rd_w=bXi0H&pd_rd_wg=Ccx8a&psc=1&refRID=SZXTQR4XB7JYJTDJBA4W

Solution

IvakaS

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

I'll try checking the BIOS, I do believe I can use both GPU and iGPU. By the way, any idea how do I enter BIOS using a USB keyboard? It just doesn't work while my PC is starting up and I can't do anything besides just waiting for Windows to load...
Maybe I should get a normal one and connect it when I'm trying to enter the BIOS?

Entering BIOS is dependent on the motherboard (which you still haven't named). You press a certain key upon startup/boot-up. Most common keys are Del, Esc, F1, or F2 or others depending on mobo. Try all.

If it doesn't, try getting a PS/2 keyboard and repeat the process above til you can enter BIOS. Check if "USB Legacy Support" is enabled in your BIOS. That setting should enable you to enter BIOS the next time around using a USB Keyboard.

IvakaS

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

My bad, it's a Gigabyte F2A88XM-HD3. Anyways, sure that'll do. I might even go for restarting the electricity in my apartment, always gets me to the BIOS screen upon starting up the computer. Thank you for helping me!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Check your motherboard manual.

Pg. 19

To access the BIOS Setup program, press the <Delete> key during the POST when the power is turned on.

Nothing about a USB or PS/2 keyboard requirement

Pg. 27

Integrated Graphics - Force: Always activates the onboard graphics, whether or not a PCI Express card is
installed.

In BIOS, Peripherals --> GFX Configuration --> Integrated Graphics.

-Wolf sends

IvakaS

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

Hello, thank you for your answer!

I uploaded a video on youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGs-tJn6DDI ) of me trying entering my BIOS. First, I don't even get a screen with options, Windows boots automatically and second, my keyboard does not work while PC's loading. I tried this solution here: ( http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1766597/usb-keyboard-work-boot-solved.html ) and the result is the same.

Wolfshadw

Titan
If the Windows four-box logo appears on screen, it's already too late to enter BIOS.

Rather than doing a restart, try a power off. Once the system is completely down, power it back up and immediately spam the DEL key again. Aside from that, I can only recommend trying each of the rear USB ports.

-Wolf sends

IvakaS

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

Anyways, I did the thingy with the electricity, got to the BIOS and saw that boot option was set to Ultra Fast and it apparently skips the BIOS screen when booting. Also, I forced the computer to use the integrated graphics as well and got everything to work now. One thing is still bothering me though. If I'm playing something on my main monitor and my second one is just idle, is the onboard graphics card affecting the performance of the CPU?

IvakaS

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

Can I separate the monitors? Make them not work one for another maybe? It's set on extend displays on display settings, but when I refresh the second monitor, actually my main one refreshes. Also, I just played a LoL game and when I opened my browser on the second monitor, it minimized my game. Whatever I open on the second monitor, it runs on my main one.

I apologize if I'm being annoying with so many questions, just haven't done that before, I'm interested a lot and wish to learn.

Wolfshadw

Titan
It's been awhile since I dealt with anything like this, but when I last did it, I had to play in Windowed mode on the main in order to do anything on the secondary. Otherwise, I couldn't just mouse over to it.

The starting positions for all of your applications are still on the main display. Once opened, move them to the secondary display and then close them. When you next open them, they should open on the secondary display.

I would also note that this is all based on my dual screen set up just using my graphics card outputs. I have never run both on-board and a discrete graphics card, simultaneously.

-Wolf sends

IvakaS

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

I'll play with it, going to try this and that. I'm so grateful to you for helping me. And I also think I learnt a lot today. Cheers man!