Can't change setting from "Allow apps from the Store only"

m3dicat3d

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
I've had a vicious and vitriolic relationship with MS for quite some time now, and while I will spare that rant, I hate them even more today (which I didn't realize was even possible).

Decided to run the Creators Update after getting the prompt to do so, in order to mainly to see if that would fix the system restore failing every time I tried to use it (I have yet to see it it work thanks to my new dilemma).

I've been trying to installing a simple game launcher for Elite Dangerous, and in doing so, I have discovered that with the new "update" (read virus), I can only install items from the Store. I can't install ANYTHING else.

When I go into apps and features from settings, the drop down box to change this is greyed out. There is a message above in red "Some setting are hidden or managed by your organization." Thinking maybe I had not set my account as an admin account on creation (which it turns out I did) I even made sure it was enabled using command prompts to do so.

So does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

Solution
I want to make sure everything is clear.

If you bought an OEM copy of Windows 10, you have a full copy with no restrictions(on the one system). You do not have to be an insider.

Insiders have limits because as said above they are beta testers. They have 2 groups the fast and slow rings. The fast gets more updates, but with more bugs while the slow ring users get less updates and more stable releases(they will still have some bugs).

So if you are on an OEM copy(not signed up only as an Insider. so you payed for Windows) you can freely leave the insider program without issues(you may still have to reinstall if you are not on the current build in use by non insiders).

m3dicat3d

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
MERGED QUESTION
Question from m3dicat3d : "Can't change setting from "Allow apps from the Store only""

I've had a vicious and vitriolic relationship with MS for quite some time now, and while I will spare that rant, I hate them even more today (which I didn't realize was possible).

Decided to run the Creators Update after getting the prompt to mainly to see if that would fix the system restore failing every time I tried to use it (I have yet to see if it works thanks to my new dilemma).

I've been trying to install a simple game launcher for Elite Dangerous, and I have discovered that with the new "update" (read virus), I can only install items from the Store. I can't install ANYTHING else.

When I go into apps and features from setting, the drop down box to change this is greyed out. There is a message above in red "Some settings are hidden or managed by your organization." Thinking maybe I had not set my account as an admin account on creation (which it turns out I did), and even mdae sure it was enabled using command prompts to do so.

So does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

USAFRet

Titan

The Insider Preview program does bring restrictions like that.
You get what they give you...you are a perm beta tester.

A lot of things you cannot change or influence.

Solution?
Buy a regular use OS license.

m3dicat3d

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks for the help, should I need to do so again I will purchase that instead (I had no idea they had "restrictions" in place for an OEM copy).

I was able to resolve the issue after rolling the update back though, so at least that wasn't a restricted option.

USAFRet

Titan

It will return.

I want to make sure everything is clear.

If you bought an OEM copy of Windows 10, you have a full copy with no restrictions(on the one system). You do not have to be an insider.

Insiders have limits because as said above they are beta testers. They have 2 groups the fast and slow rings. The fast gets more updates, but with more bugs while the slow ring users get less updates and more stable releases(they will still have some bugs).

So if you are on an OEM copy(not signed up only as an Insider. so you payed for Windows) you can freely leave the insider program without issues(you may still have to reinstall if you are not on the current build in use by non insiders).

Solution