my laptop is too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRUNKCJ

Reputable
Jun 5, 2017
my laptop was superfast on windows 7 but now as i upgraded to win 10 it has become extremely slow . it takes a lot of time to bootup. the games have started to lag. even the start menu takes 2 to 3 seconds to start and the search takes a lot of time to generate the result. file explorer take 4 second to start .
my specs are

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5005U CPU @ 2.00GHz

Video Card Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500

RAM 4.0 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

and my disk usage is always full

Ralston18

Titan
Sometimes a upgrade will slow things down because "it" is going online and "updating updates".

Could well be that your Windows 10 installation is bloated with things starting up, trying to run, phoning home, and using default settings that undid earlier (and forgotten) performance tweaks on the laptop.

Give the laptop some time to get things in order and if startup and performance remain sluggish use Task Manager, Performance Monitor, and Resource Monitor to identify any applications, services, or processes that are consuming laptop resources. E.g., "disk usage".

Back up your data and if possible, create a recovery disk, an image, or a clone of the laptop drive. Just in case....

And then very carefully work through each possible issue one by one to see if performance can be restored. Change only one thing at a time. Keep notes in case you need to go back and reverse some change.

Avoid any online software that claims to fix or repair problems. May or may not be applicable or viable for your laptop.

Ralston18

Titan
May well be that the clean install is still trying to do things: updates via Microsoft for example.

Use the built-in tools to see what is going on.

I.e., ss202sl's post asking about disk usage - valid question.

And the next step is determine what app, process, or service is using the disk?

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from DRUNKCJ : "my laptop is too slow"

It sounds like your issue is (ironically) due to Fast Boot. Fast Boot is supposed to pre load some information so that your computer boots faster, but it can cause a myriad of issues. You may want to disable that.

Making sure your Graphics Drivers are up to date is also important.

If both Fast Boot is disabled, and your Graphics Drivers are up to date, you'll need to back up your data and do a fresh installation of the OS. Should only be done if you're certain that the other two steps have been done.

In the future you'll want to back up your data with either a snapshot tool (i.e. Rollback Rx) or a disk imager (i.e. Macrium Reflect)

Ralston18

Titan
Are you looking at Task Manager?

Can you narrrow down "system" a process or service?

Look throught the various Task Manager tabs (e.g., Processes, Performance, App History, Startup, Users, Details, Services) and click any ">" that you see to drill down for more details. And you can often "right-click" entries for more details and information.

And Windows 10 is likely using its own built in generic drivers which probably will not work as well as the drivers provided by the individual component drivers provided by the manufacturers.

Identifying the specific reason/cause for the disk usage is the starting point.

DRUNKCJ

Reputable
Jun 5, 2017
System is a process and I m having trouble with my graphic driver when I try to update it after the driver is downloaded I get an error message that it is not supported by my chipset or anything like that

Ralston18

Titan
I would suspect that that "outdated" really means they are no longer supporting the chipset to where Windows 10 is fully viable.

Windows 10 runs but is being bottlenecked as you are experiencing.

Could be some specific reason or a combination of reasons.

Will take some research to go through all of the applicable hardware specifications, software requirements, etc. to find the culprit.

E.g., performance can often be improved by more and/or faster RAM. However, if the laptop is already at max for either specification then more RAM per se is moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.