Can I fix my monitor or is it too late/not worth it?

Jun 5, 2017
So my monitor screen has recently gotten damaged by mistake. This is what it turned into over time. (Update: since I started writing this, my monitor screen's state has been changing; those pictures will be uploaded after the initial one in sequence).
https://imgur.com/a/SwacO

Basically my question is what the thread title suggests. Is there anything I can do to fix this in the cheapest way possible so I don't have to resort to buying a whole new monitor? I'd rather save the money if I can help it.

PS: I tried taking print screen shots of this initially but it would just come out normally in the capture. Does this mean it's more of a display panel thing than something wrong with the monitor itself? Sorry, I don't know much about this area, so I'd just like to get to the utmost bottom of it in my understanding.

doing a screen shot is based on what the graphics card is producing, not the exactly what you see on the screen.

That said, this monitor is toast. you'll have to spring for a new one, or keep using this one until it finally actually stops working

Jun 5, 2017

But if the graphics card isn't producing it, then what does that mean exactly? Is it more to do with the screen itself or something more internal within the monitor?

So, the graphics card is putting out an image (frame), and that image can be viewed on your monitor. A screen shot is going to take the image straight from the graphics card. What happened to your monitor is physical damage to the monitor, not graphics card. The reason a screen shot won't show the issue is the same as when you have google chrome open, those lines don't appear in chrome. The damage is local to your monitor.

Does that make any more sense?

Jun 5, 2017

Sure, but the lines don't stop appearing when I'm on Chrome. You can still see them there in the photos with Chrome open. You just don't see them as well because this particular page is quite bright. I was just showing those later photos because the whole bottom area (as you can see in the first photo) is initially covered by a mix of mass blackness/greyness, while now it's "opened up" more, so to say, so you can see through some of it, as opposed to before (plus some differences in the lines maybe, you can look at that if you wanna see)

Another thing I noticed is that that bottom area seems to (sometimes) mimic what it was showing on a different tab when I switch back to this one or another one. That, or total brightness. But the general view is what I showed in the images still.

I didn't explain it well enough, I think. Haha, sorry.

if you drag the window around the screen, the lines don't move with the window exactly. If they did, precisely, then it would be a graphics issue more than likely.

The black spot at the bottom right is where there has been physical damage, and that damage has expanded to other areas of the monitor, probably through heat or something. Unless you know how to replace components, you're best off with a new monitor.

Jun 5, 2017

Yeah, yeah, no, don't worry. I think I realized what you meant after I wrote that response, but still wasn't sure about the whole mimicking thing with the bottom part of my screen and that it keeps conditionally changing how it looks, so I wanted to wait for your response. But is that just an expression of how damaged it is down there specifically?

In any case, I read something about using microfiber cloths to clear up the lines on the screen. Does that make any bit of sense in this case?

Maybe? The black in the bottom right is dead pixels. They no longer get power, so they show up black. The whole area of dead pixels could be damaged, or just a small circle in the middle or something. Some of those pixels may not be broken, so much as they just aren't getting power anymore.

nope, unless you feel damage on the outside of the screen, more than likely the damage takes place right below the screen. microfiber won't do much in this case

Jun 5, 2017

All right, well, I'll wait if anyone else has any other suggestions or ideas, but I think you've mostly covered it.

Thanks for your help.

But, on the note of buying a new monitor, would you happen to have any suggestions for me in that regard? The monitor in question here is a Samsung SyncMaster 2343. I wanna get something similar or just like that for as low of a price as I possibly can.

No problem, happy to help :D

Also, no, unfortunately I can't make any recommendations. I've not tried any 2k res monitors. Basically though, just look for a high refresh rate, 2048 x 1080/1152, and lots of reviews (obviously good ones)

Jun 5, 2017

All right, well, thanks for everything.

I'll figure this situation out some way, haha.