Please help me - "New" laptop continuously under heavy load.

• Thread starter DeletedMember2214058
  • Start date
D

DeletedMember2214058

I got this laptop around 5 to 8 months ago, but since the start it had continuously the same issue: Windows services taking 100% of my memory/disk usage. The biggest plagues for me are the following hogging my Disk usage:

- System
- Servicehost: Local system
- Windows telemetry compatibility
- sometimes Anti-malware service executable

These plague my laptop since the time I got it, and I have looked up many different websites to disable certain things. For the Telemetry I had to use a program called Spybot Anti-beacon due not having the gpedit.msc available on my version of windows.

The processes start up at 100% immediately at boot and can stay like that for a minimum of 30 minutes, making my laptop-fans go WILD for a long time. Anything I can do to fix this?

My specs (if needed):

AMD A8-9600 CPU
8 gb ram
HP 81FE motherboard
512 Mb AMD Radeon R5 graphics with a 2048 Mb Radeon r7 m340 crossfire option

Solution
I'm assuming you are getting that error on the 3rd command which is the echo command. There are 3 possible fixes.

#1. Run the Command Prompt as Administrator. You do this by right clicking on the Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Then try the commands again.

#2. Boot up into [Safe Mode] and try the commands again.

#3. Follow the instructions here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3fa5b2/not_working_echo/

Note that you won't see a "success" message or anything when it does go through and works correctly. You won't see an error, but you won't see a success message either.

If none of these work let me know.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi vorkot1, the anti-malware one is normal if you're only anti-virus is Windows Defender. You can install a 3rd party anti-virus to disable Windows Defender if you want. I have no recommendations on any 3rd party ones.

If the Telemetry system is still causing problems (after using Anti-Beacon) I recommend disabling it. I have disabled it and deleted the service on my system. See only #7 on this page: https://fix10.isleaked.com/ Also keep in mind that the settings used by Anti-Beacon can be turned back on at anytime by a Windows Update. So re-open it once every month or two.

System, I'm not sure what you can do that about that. Mine acts up sometimes also but only briefly.

Servicehost: Local system - Make sure you have set your Privacy settings up and turned most of it off. The less things being collected and sent to Microsoft, the less taxing all of those services and background applications will be.

If you have the Creators Update installed (Windows version 1703+) then each of your Services are run in their own ServiceHost. If not then you may have multiple services run by a single ServiceHost.

Close down all of the background software that you can (including most stuff in the tray beside of the clock) and then determine which ServiceHost is using the most memory/disk. Expand it and one at a time, right click on each Service and choose Stop. Wait a minute to see if your disk/memory usage improves. Note that if you disable a system critical service, Windows might want to shut down or reboot. This is fine, let it do that then continue on exploring the services until you can figure out what is causing the problem. Once you figure it out, you can look up more info on the Service and see if it can be disabled and what it does.

When done, reboot to restart all of the services and background software.

D

DeletedMember2214058

Sorry for the very late response. I tried step 7 but everytime I do it says "The process cant access this file because it is being used by another process"

any idea how I can still delete it?

gardenman

Splendid
I'm assuming you are getting that error on the 3rd command which is the echo command. There are 3 possible fixes.

#1. Run the Command Prompt as Administrator. You do this by right clicking on the Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Then try the commands again.

#2. Boot up into [Safe Mode] and try the commands again.

#3. Follow the instructions here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3fa5b2/not_working_echo/

Note that you won't see a "success" message or anything when it does go through and works correctly. You won't see an error, but you won't see a success message either.

If none of these work let me know.

Solution