Upgrade to the Intel i7-6850K from i7-4770K?

swoo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
Hello everyone,

I consider myself relatively tech savvy but when it comes to numbers and theoretical speeds I lose my footing a bit. Currently I have a solid PC build that is probably 4 years old now. I currently run a i7-4770K with 16 gbs of RAM. Off the top of my head, I believe it to be DDR3 as I don't think that CPU can handle DDR4. I am at work, so I am strictly going off the top of my head here. I came across a sale on Amazon for the 6850K and it's $150 off the normal price. Essentially I am looking for thoughts about how much of an improvement I could expect to see, and if really it would be worth upgrading at all.
Currently I play League of Legends, and occasionally will play some FPS games through the Xbox app. I don't experience any lag and its this point I should probably state that I have the Nvidia GeForce 1080. I don't really use my computer as a workstation and mainly it really only plays league. I am just wondering if the age of my equipment is starting to show, and with such a discount on Amazon I should go ahead and bite the bullet and upgrade.
I understand that this will mean purchasing a new Mobo, and newer more expensive DDR4 RAM. I also understand that of course the above will make for a sizable performance issue but when it comes to going from great to greater I wonder if it is worth it? Thank you in advance for all of your input!

Honestly, no. With that GTX 1080 you are already doing overkill just for LoL. As you already mentioned even though it's on sale, you will still have to get a new motherboard (X99) and memory as well. Your i7 is just fine, and should be able to handle more going forward. It can even handle the 1080 Ti.

TL;DR - Don't do it.

swoo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014

Thanks for the input! I was more leaning towards not, but I was curious for outside input by those who have more know-how than I do.

You can't use that CPU on your socket. You would need a new motherboard with the socket 2011-v3.

" thoughts about how much of an improvement I could expect to see"
I expect you to see no improvement at all.

"just wondering if the age of my equipment is starting to show"
nope, top end CPU

If you want more speed then I'd just overclock. My coworker said he just got that CPU to 4.7Ghz without much effort.

swoo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014

I have been wondering about overclocking, though I only have the CPU currently air cooled with the CoolMaster Hyper Evo 212 and to my knowledge, I would want to watercool if I were to actually overclock. Not to mention I have never tried to overclock before (I know, I know), and wouldn't know where to start.

The Hyper 212 isn't a bad cooler. It won't yield the highest results, but you can still overclock if you wanted. When I had my i5, I was able to hit 4.4Ghz, while the stock was 3.5 Ghz.

However, if you never overclocked, and you haven't noticed any performance issues, my recommendation would be to just stay with stock settings. No need to tinkering around if no need to.