Upgrade or Downgrade?? i5 3330 vs G4560

Kristian_54

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
I currently have an i5 3330 cpu with an H61 mobo paired with a Zotac GTX 960 2gb. I recently discovered that the i5 is bottlenecking my GPU. My GPU is only at 65% while my CPU is at 96-100% at most times, so that's a lot of performance wasted from gpu. I am planning to get a pentium G4560 to replace it. Would you consider it as an upgrade? I am playing NBA 2K17, GTA V, Battlefield 1.
I am really on a tight budget right now that's why I don't have a lot of options.

UPDATE: I game at 1080p

Solution
Pentium is a heavy downgrade.

To check what in the world is eating up that CPU, open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+alt+delete, click on "CPU". See which process is taking up most CPU usage when your system is idle. Most cases, it's the super stupid ridiculous and annoying Windows Update, or a simple antivirus scan. My Windows 10 has windows driver foundation host eating 40% CPU forever, I need to terminate it manually on each boot.

Always try doing things by software before changing hardware.
If your process isn't listed in task manager, go to "performance" tab and click "start resource monitor". Then go to the "CPU" tab and click on CPU Usage.

List which process is taking up most CPU. Generally it's svchost.exe (netsvc) which is...

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
1) You wouldn't be able to sell your i5-3330 for much more than you'd pay for a new G4560.
2) The G4560 is weaker than an i5-3330
3) The GTX 960 2GB is not supposed to be bottlenecked by that i5-3330, which games do you play?
4) You realise you'd need a new LGA 1151 motherboard + DDR4 memory?

Kristian_54

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

The games I play are stated above. Yes I know I'd be needing a new board and a ddr4 ram. I am planning to sell my ddr3 because ddr3 pricing here in our place is really expensive right now (about 50% price hike).
I dont know what's the problem if this cpu is not supposed to bottleneck this GPU.

Yep, your i5 would make the pentium look like garbage.
I would format your hard drive because it seems to me that your computer could be held back by software causing your CPU to run slower.
If you still want a real upgrade...
You'll need to spend over $200
Your socket is 1155 which is now un-supported and hard to find CPU's for... (Typically they are used at this point)
If I was you I'd look for a 3570K on eBay.
(It will likely not be a cheap upgrade.)

Formatting your hard drive and re-installing the OS is free and can make a huge difference depending on certain variables.

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Pentium is a heavy downgrade.

To check what in the world is eating up that CPU, open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+alt+delete, click on "CPU". See which process is taking up most CPU usage when your system is idle. Most cases, it's the super stupid ridiculous and annoying Windows Update, or a simple antivirus scan. My Windows 10 has windows driver foundation host eating 40% CPU forever, I need to terminate it manually on each boot.

Always try doing things by software before changing hardware.
If your process isn't listed in task manager, go to "performance" tab and click "start resource monitor". Then go to the "CPU" tab and click on CPU Usage.

List which process is taking up most CPU. Generally it's svchost.exe (netsvc) which is basically Windows Update doing stuff.

UPDATE: An i5 can't bottleneck your GPU that much. I myself used i5 2310 :LGA1155 with Strix 970 4GD5. It never had any bottleneck,

@Dark_lord69, formatting is the absolute last thing a user should do according to me. It can cause many stupid annoying problems. Resetting everything, installing all drivers again, issues related to windows key management, etc. Just don't think about formatting. Try defragging instead. And slow HDDs is not even related to the CPU.

Solution

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Your reply is about a month late. I do disagree with formatting possibly causing issues. If anything, It's the opposite if you take the time to set it up correctly.