Computer hangs when there is high download speed

sebzxc

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
I currently have a problem where when I test for my internet speed, my computer will hang. It hangs whenever it is checking for the download speed and the end result will be 20-40 Mbps when my computer recovers from the temporary frozen state.

It is the same when I'm downloading games from steam, it starts to hang once in awhile when I am downloading. I suspect it only happens when the download speed gets higher.

I've tried searching for solutions online but I can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance for the help.

I am currently connected to my router via an Ethernet cable.

System:

Intel i5-6500 3.2Ghz
MSI H170 Gaming M3
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400C14 2 x 4 GB
WD 1TB Blue
Samsung 850 EVO 120Gb
MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB
Windows 10

jensrobot

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Hi
I've had a similar problem. It's a long-shot, but it might be your harddrive - it was in my case. My pc boot time got a bit slower recently, and downloads start fine, but keep coming back to 0 kb/sec. I found out that my hard-drive is faulty. I can still use it, but it has some big troubles sometimes

However i would recommend you check your drive just to be sure. If its failing it's better to find out now instead of later if you catch my drift.

First i would check the S.M.A.R.T status of your drive. Best tool i know of is "CrystalDiskInfo"
Second i would benchmark the drive, and see if something is off. I use hd tune pro, but thats not free, so maybe give "CrystalDiskMark" a try

Both can be downloaded here:
http://crystalmark.info

Let me know your results. As said it's a bit of a long-shot, but worth checking for sure

sebzxc

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Thanks for the reply! I checked the S.M.A.R.T status of both my C and D drive. Both are working well, benchmarking both my drive seem to show a normal result too.

I just read a thread about a guy who had a similar situation as me, his problem seem to be that his network driver automatically set his download threshold to 100 / 100 Mbits/s hence the constant hang whenever he checks for download speed. Problem is I don't know where is my network driver, is it the MSI Killer Network Manage ?

If so then the threshold is set at 1500 Mbps and I am still facing the constant freezing situation whenever I check for download speed or whenever I download something from steam and the download speed goes too high.