Building a new PC in July

Fluxanda

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2013
Hi,

First off, im not sure if i posted this in the correct place, tell me if i need to move it.

Anyway, I plan to build a new computer at the end of July, the only things I wont be replacing would be the GPU and my HDD.

I want to know if it is possible to buy a fresh copy of windows 10, install it onto my new SSD (in my new pc) and be able to use my old HDD (has a copy of OEM Windows 10) with all of my data on it still.

I know I would need to remove windows 10 off the HDD, but will it boot if i connect it to my new rig or will i need to transfer my data to an external drive and install everything again onto that HDD?

I tried to explain things best i can, if theres any confusion tell me :)

Solution
You may have to reformat the 2TB hard drive and you may have to re-isntall some software since the registry will be created from scratch. Again, if you are using the SAME motherboard, the OEM key will still work. Trust me. You don't even need to use the key.
Well if the SSD is 250GB for example, and your hard drive has under 250GB of data stored, you could migrate. But if it is more, than doing a clean method is better. What you could do is link your MS account to your email, and when you are installing on the SSD, it will recongize it as digital entitlement. However, for the hard drive no programs will work as a new registry has been created. You can save documents, music and pictures, but games, software and anything else installed will be useless when using the SSD as a boot drive.

Fluxanda

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2013

I was looking on the Microsoft forums and apparently if you own a OEM version of Windows 10, you cannot transfer it to a new pc, only retail allows you to move it.

Im getting a 250gb SSD and i have a 2tb hdd where 1tb is filled. I was going to use the SSD for the OS and some programs that take a while to load and use the old 2tb HDD for files etc.

You may have to reformat the 2TB hard drive and you may have to re-isntall some software since the registry will be created from scratch. Again, if you are using the SAME motherboard, the OEM key will still work. Trust me. You don't even need to use the key.

Solution