Computer starts up, but all USB ports are locked, it cannot see the Keyboard/mouse. I'm locked out.

MervynW14

Commendable
May 28, 2016
I have a Wintel New Build Desktop.

Despite going through Device Manager and disabling every power-save I could find; my USB ports get blocked at Startup after a fortnight or so of perfectly normal use.

I have a pretty picture on my screen and no control whatever, I cannot communicate with the computer at all.

The first time it happened I managed to log in through the PS2 ports, reformat the Samsung and re-install Windows and consequently all my other programs. I blamed a faulty update in my mind, but now it has happened again.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Is it Win 10 or the ASUS Mobo drivers or something else?

Please can anyone help?

For Reference my Rig is:-
Asus ROG STRIX X99 GAMING Mobo
Intel Core i7 6800K s2011
8G Asus STRIX RX480 OC GAMING Graphics Card
500GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe
Win10 Pro 64 DVD FQC-08929
16GB CMK16GX4M4B3000C15 DDR4
CORS CP-9020072-UK HX750i PSU

Solution
Dear Forum,

I may have stumbled upon the solution while surfing many sites desperately looking for an answer.

The CULPRIT is probably AIMANAGER {or AIIMANAGER in recent builds}. This is a manager installed with all the other drivers from ASUS' own CD that comes bundled with the MoBo. This manager boosts the USB port power when power hungry items like iPad are charged on the computers USB ports. If you do innocently connect your iPad, it goes on charge immediately, grabs loads of power, and somewhere/one/thing else gets upset about this and promptly shuts all the USB ports down at the next Shutdown -- NEVER to power up again!

On my fourth Format and Install of Win 10 I have not installed the MoBo Drivers, so far without any dip in...

MervynW14

Commendable
May 28, 2016
Dear hang-the-9; Neur0nauT,

Bios Screen. Mostly once this issue appears I do not get a Bios Screen. I get Back screens, then the pretty picture of the beach viewed through rocks.

PS2. This time I could not even get reliable control through the PS2, just enough on one occasion to boot from CD.

In desperation I reformatted and reinstalled and immediately disabled all the power saves everywhere I could find.
My computer told me there was an interrupted update outstanding (!), then it performed a lengthy two stages update. I just left it alone for a few hours to get on with it.

My rig worked.

I installed my Graphics drivers from Radeon Website.

My rig still worked.

I installed 'Relive' and promptly had a problem with a USB hub. I could only communicate through a USB port directly into the computer. This I now realise has been an 'early warning' in the past to losing complete control.

I installed Revo and uninstalled all AMD drivers software.

Of course I got the basic screen, but within a minute or so the computer had restored my normal screen. {To my surprise.}

So far this seems to have averted disaster.
While surfing the net for answers I have also seen references to strange effects on USB ports when AMD Graphics cards were installed.
My other computer has a Nvidia Card, it occasionally takes a dislike to USB Hubs, but so far has never locked me out completely.

So thank you for your helpful replies,
I have saved this page in case I need to reference it {via my other computer} in the future.

Regards,
Mervyn.

MervynW14

Commendable
May 28, 2016
Dear Forum,

I may have stumbled upon the solution while surfing many sites desperately looking for an answer.

The CULPRIT is probably AIMANAGER {or AIIMANAGER in recent builds}. This is a manager installed with all the other drivers from ASUS' own CD that comes bundled with the MoBo. This manager boosts the USB port power when power hungry items like iPad are charged on the computers USB ports. If you do innocently connect your iPad, it goes on charge immediately, grabs loads of power, and somewhere/one/thing else gets upset about this and promptly shuts all the USB ports down at the next Shutdown -- NEVER to power up again!

On my fourth Format and Install of Win 10 I have not installed the MoBo Drivers, so far without any dip in performance and without suddenly being locked out of my computer.

Should the computer start complaining it needs any of these drivers, I'll install them -- BUT NOT AIMANAGER {AIIMANAGER}. That can stay on the CD languishing for the rest of time.

As I need to connect my iPad to my computer from time to time I have bought a Powered USB Hub with three 'High Power' sockets in addition to the normal USB3 ones and will do it through that after fully charging the iPad -- just in case. The alternative strategy of communicating by WiFi I'm holding in reserve.

Please flag this as a possible solution for anyone else who has an ASUS MoBo computer, an iPad, and the same catastrophic problem.

Solution