ARICH5

Distinguished
Fellas: paladin
RCALD
13thmonkey
USAFRet
chugalug
sr-42

ok, what is our concensus on windows10 keys? the last few weeks ive been seeing alot of different opinions on this subject. lets get it all together under one roof. One advisor says one thing and one says the other, and the OP has no idea what to do.........I say bring a tomshardware Moderator Editor and look into it cuz this is getting us nowhere.

Kinguin? d/l from MS? copy to USB? d/l THEN wait and buy a key?what does MS say?mobo...cpu????????guh.

our priority is to give the best advice we can on the subject to the OP. if we are not together on the subject we might as well tell everyone to torrent win10.

everyone do some research and find the best answer.

thanks...:) and lets all come to a agreement.

Solution
I always strongly discourage.
Including links from members here where they fail, and descriptions from elsewhere in the interwebs of how these licenses are obtained.

One just yesterday...http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3435509/activate-windows-motherboard-cpu-upgrade-failing-epically.html
"I bought a key from Kinguin. It failed on my new hardware"
"I went through the troubleshooter, it failed again"
"I bought another one, it failed"

By this time...you've spent just as much money, and spent more time, than a valid one, that would have worked with no issues.

These are just as valid as the guy in the Walmart parking lot with boxes of 70" TV's in his van.
They may even be actual TV's. But of course stolen. Or S0ny, not Sony...

ARICH5

Distinguished

lol true....i used an extreme....chugalug pointed that out "delete that post!!!!"

ARICH5

Distinguished
i think....i dont know for sure but i think there is some PM's floating around here that are telling OP's to torrent win10....just a hunch. when an OP asks about win10 and an install, a non-badged advisor with a name syntax of xxxx-xx will answer. maybe just im paranoid.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
It isn't hard. A general rules is if it's too cheap to be true, it probably isn't true. In other words if its priced suspiciously cheap (< $70 USD) it is most likely isn't legitimate.

Keys sold via sites like that are most likely bought with a fraudulent credit card and/or violating Microsoft's TOS. By purchasing a key from those sites, you are supporting criminals and your Windows could be inactivated by Windows.

It is best to purchase from major, known retailers which can be found Here, or from the Microsoft Web Store.

If you are looking for a cheap alternative, you can use Windows for free however inactivated (no key), or use a free to use operating system like Linux, FreeBSD, etc.

After 1 month of usage the inactivated version of Windows loses personalisation features, forces a water mark, and constant notification asking to activate

ARICH5

Distinguished

1 month...is that a sure thing? ive heard weeks...months...hours. different things.

we recommend that they are not used, this is different from not recommending them (passive), we actively suggest that these are not good licenses.

A part of the problem with this is that the store itself is just a store, like ebay/craigslist, and it is possible that some licenses are valid perhaps from the developer themselves, but where it is too good to be true there are reasons behind that, and therefore we can only say 'buyer beware' and here's why.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

From researching, I don't believe there's a set time. Though it doesn't come all at once. Microsoft will slowly annoy you as time goes past, though many report they're perfectly fine with the unactivated Windows. You can read here: https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

ARICH5

Distinguished

yes ive seen similar stories on youtube....win10 installation tutorials.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

No. Also, no need to make a bigger deal than it is. There are some consumers who will always seek the best "deal" regardless of the advice offered.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I am sure there is a gaggle of MS lawyers who work these issues 24/7. MS needs to raise the $$$ to pay them! (please note implied sarcasm)

That being said, the cost of the product is what the market will bear. MS does represent a bit of a monopoly, regardless of alternative OSes. If the cost is truly a concern, go Linux and never look back.

Stealing, or selling questionable products, is not a good alternative to paying the market cost.