vga no signal new machine

James_616

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
I just bought a new desktop exactly this one here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/ta4/Asus-ROG-G20BM-UK006T-Gaming-Desktop-Black-FX-770K/B01G7L65A4/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1497033162&sr=8-34&keywords=desktop+computer+gaming

i have an old vga/dvi monitor that ive used for several years. its a benq monitor

when i bought this new desktop and connected the vga lead absolutely nothing happened

it detects that you have plugged in a monitor and screen turns on but then it says no signal.

i opened the case and it looks like there is no motherboard led or buzzer so there no way for me to hear if post is happening or not.

ive took the whole thing apart and put it back together and no change.

could anyone help me figure this out?

thanks

Solution
Why aren't you contacting the place you purchased from to make good on the product they sold you? If it's incomplete, they need to honor the sale. Also, I wouldn't want to go and spend a bunch of money for another power supply, especially with the possibility it isn't going to solve the problem.

For the money you spent, if it's anywhere near what the advertised price was in your link, I would expect a fully functional device to show up. I would probably be sending it back at this point for a refund, unless you are dead set on making this particular machine work. The specs I read don't even look that great for the price, and future upgradability is going to be limited by the system's non-standard design.

James_616

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
also it has an onboard hdmi port. on the motherboard. I tried a HDMI to DVI lead as my monitor doesnt have HDMI and nothing happened.

It has a graphics card with HDMI, VGA, and DVI ports. I tried VGA on this with no signal, and also the HDMI with HDMI to DVI

im lost!

thanks

James_616

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
new computer has a vga port too. i used my original vga - vga cable first. when i noticed the issue. so i went out and bought a hdmi - dvi cable and tried that. still no luck

my monitor has a vga port and a dvi port

it would be slim that the monitor is not compatible with the new computer but if possible see if you can get access to another monitor to try it on. but also it may be a problem with the computer so you should contact asus to get it serviced under warranty or maybe amazon to see about getting it replaced. hopefully the warranty wasn't voided from opening it up

James_616

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
i was hoping it would be a simple issue i could get working. Dont really want to be without a computer for weeks whilst its repaired.

Ill contact ASUS and see what their RMA is like i supose

yea but try taking it somewhere like friends house and try it with there monitor first

The link you posted to the machine you purchased has no VGA output, so either it's not the same machine, or you're using an adapter of sorts.

Are you using the dedicated graphics add-in board when attempting the HDMI output, or the motherboard HDMI port? You should be using the dedicated card, always, unless you've gone into the BIOS or used a physical jumper to use on-board only, which you obviously can't do yet.

The graphics appear to be AMD. Usually only one DVI output on AMD cards supports analog output. Have you tried both DVI outputs on the graphics card yet? (I'm going off the photos of the linked product. Yours can obviously be different.)

James_616

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
haha you just made me realize the product ive received is different to the bloody advert i bought it from.

your right the pictures on amazon dont have VGA but i can assure you the machine i have has VGA so maybe they have screwed me on graphics card. I wanted a semi decent powered graphics card i guess its probably no where near as good as what i was supposed to get

the card ive got only has 1 vga port, 1 dvi port and 1 HDMI port

The advert also claims the processor is an FX model, which would mean, no integrated graphics. Any connections on the motherboard should never provide output.

If your card does indeed have an analog out, as you've said, and it outputs nothing, you might as well send the system back as defective, or get ready to open it up and start tinkering, which puts you up against the warranty. Testing the digital outputs confirms that the system isn't outputting video upon boot, so there's not really any other place to go with it other than troubleshooting the hardware inside the box.

James_616

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
i just realised when looking at the motherboard it has another DC in port called "DC In GPU" i opened the instructions of the system and it says to plug in two power supplies 1 for the GPU one for the motherboard.... but they only sent me one power supply ??

James_616

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
doesnt make sense never seen a desktop that requires two power supplies

it looks like it needs a 180w power supply which i have and a 230w which didnt come with it... and no clue where id buy one

That sounds like a possible answer to your problem. Perhaps ASUS decided they couldn't meet the power requirements for both the main PC and the graphics card with just their small power supply? It also sounds like you didn't get what you paid for. I wonder if perhaps the item was a previous return? Either way, if it requires to power inputs, you ought to be supplying both before making the decision that something is defective.

Oddly enough, however, the R7 340 claimed in the specs shouldn't really require extra power. I believe it's only rated at a measly 50 watts, which could easily be supplied by the motherboard slot. It does recommend an overall 450 watt power supply however.

James_616

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
yeah the power supply i have here is 180w i guess i need to buy a 230w one. Just ordered one but wont be here until tuesday unfortunately...

wish there was a local shop that sold these.. only place i can think of is maplin but its over 100 quid for a power supply.

Why aren't you contacting the place you purchased from to make good on the product they sold you? If it's incomplete, they need to honor the sale. Also, I wouldn't want to go and spend a bunch of money for another power supply, especially with the possibility it isn't going to solve the problem.

For the money you spent, if it's anywhere near what the advertised price was in your link, I would expect a fully functional device to show up. I would probably be sending it back at this point for a refund, unless you are dead set on making this particular machine work. The specs I read don't even look that great for the price, and future upgradability is going to be limited by the system's non-standard design.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS