Solved

Will current version of Windows 10 work with Windows 7 product key?

Hi guys, I have a HP Pavilion dv6 3010us which comes with Win 7 Home Premium, I missed the free upgrade to Windows 10 when Microsoft was rolling out. I was thinking of performing a clean install of my OS, but then, I thought, what if I download Win 10 home premium and use my windows 7 product key on it... would it work? Using a windows 7 key for a windows 10 OS. I think I read somewhere that it would work since Microsoft released the win 10 anniversary update... how true is this? Please any information or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about current version windows work windows product key
  1. Laban_18 said:
    Hi guys, I have a HP Pavilion dv6 3010us which comes with Win 7 Home Premium, I missed the free upgrade to Windows 10 when Microsoft was rolling out. I was thinking of performing a clean install of my OS, but then, I thought, what if I download Win 10 home premium and use my windows 7 product key on it... would it work? Using a windows 7 key for a windows 10 OS. I think I read somewhere that it would work since Microsoft released the win 10 anniversary update... how true is this? Please any information or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Maybe, probably.
    There have been many reports, in here and other media, of an existing valid Win 7 license working to Upgrade to a valid Win 10. Even though the official Upgrade period ran out months ago.
    All you can do is try.

If it works, great.
    If it doesn't..well...you tried.
  2. Best answer
    The only way you should be able to upgrade from 7 to 10 now is using the assistive technologies upgrade - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/accessibility/windows10upgrade

I have seen people say you can still use a win 7 key to upgrade but technically that method shouldn't work anymore. The above does but you have to install Win 7 first to use it. YOu can try to clean install using Win 7 key but I cannot guarantee it will work.
Ask a new question

Read More

windows 10 Windows 7 Microsoft