is g sycn worth having tn panel over ips for 4k monitor?

danial9

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
i have a budget of around £400 in uk i cant decide really what 4k monitor to get there is too much choice and i have no idea what to look for in 4k monitor

i have this in my mind http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/acer-predator-xb281hkbmiprz-ultra-hd-28-led-monitor-10142193-pdt.html#srcid=11026

please tell me if its a good choice as it is tn panel with g sycn and i have 1080ti so it would go well with it but how much i would lose having tn not ips

is there any more monitors that you know for the similar price which are better , i am complete lost here any kind of recommendation and information will be helpful
thank you

Solution
It really depends what you want to do.
If you're playing fps games (CS:GO, Overwatch etc.), then a high refresh rate and low latency are what you would be after. Providing that you want to play these games better. G-Sync is a way of syncing up when your monitor refreshes and your PC generates an image, and can make games much smoother. So these are all features that would be valuable as an fps player.

If you play games for the graphics, or just for fun for that matter (games like GTA V, other open world games, but not limited to), then an IPS display with maybe a higher colour depth and a higher resolution may be what you're after.

I haven't covered things like GtG latency (usually between 1ms to 6ms). This is usually standard that a...

Mattz982

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
It really depends what you want to do.
If you're playing fps games (CS:GO, Overwatch etc.), then a high refresh rate and low latency are what you would be after. Providing that you want to play these games better. G-Sync is a way of syncing up when your monitor refreshes and your PC generates an image, and can make games much smoother. So these are all features that would be valuable as an fps player.

If you play games for the graphics, or just for fun for that matter (games like GTA V, other open world games, but not limited to), then an IPS display with maybe a higher colour depth and a higher resolution may be what you're after.

I haven't covered things like GtG latency (usually between 1ms to 6ms). This is usually standard that a gaming panel has a lower latency.
I also haven't covered Ultrawide monitors, I think they're a bit of a gimmick to be honest. They're just extended on the ends pretty much.

Personal Preference.
This kind of a question is more down to buyers opinion than, "whats the fastest GPU", which has a resolute answer. I would suggest going to Curry's to have a look at these monitors, I'm sure they'll have a 4k IPS display and a 144Hz TN display for you to look at. Make your decision from there, then look about for what can get you most features.

What I use.
I use a 4k IPS display with a 60Hz refresh rate (HP Z27S), I play Overwatch, some GTA V, so really a mix. I personally much prefer the 4k screen with the great colours over a 1080p screen, everythings so clear and it's just so nice to game on, especially as I can sit at 60 fps fairly easily.

What are your options?
I think you have a few options:

If you love the picture quality and play mostly for fun
4K IPS @ 60Hz, G-Sync if possible - http://www.morecomputers.com/p/?pid=27UD58-B%3E%3ELG%20Electronics&referer=PCPart

If you like your fps and your open world but willing to sacrifice some colour
1440p @ 144Hz, G-Sync if possible - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G4AUGR6/?tag=pcp0f-21

If you're a die hard fps player
1080p @ 165Hz+ with G-Sync - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M9GRZQA/?tag=pcp0f-21

Come back with what you're looking for and I can help more
(btw I'm selling my monitor if you're interested)

Solution

Thalcore

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017
Hello!

I just purchased a pg258q 1920x1080 @240hz with G-sync.

Would I recommend G-Sync on a TN panel? Hell yes !!!

Now understand I am completely color blind. So I notice a way better picture on a higher hz monitor compared to a higher resolution at lower hz.

Of coarse the higher resolution will look better when your standing still staring at the ground or tree. But once you start moving it goes to shit real fast.

My best advice is go to a local store and try out a few. It's too hard to choose just looking at spec sheets.

I will add. Once my eyes got used to 240hz. I don't see myself going back to a 144hz.