Windows UI broken after game crash

lttlwlf

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Was playing CSGO and the game crashed. Since then the UI is completely broken

-Taskbar turned black and the quicklaunch icons I pinned on it are gone.
-When a program is opened, its icon doesn't appear on the taskbar.
-Rainmeter not working (probably running but not being dispayed).
-In the notification area, I cannot access the box that shows which programs are running.
-The start menu doesn't show anything when I click on it. Its main functions are weirdly displayed above it (see screenshots).

SCREENSHOTS :
What it should be >
LWN9cGn.png

What I get >
EQYw1tb.png

I really don't know how to describe it better, everything is just broken. I have never seen something like this before.

edited by Colif

Solution
You are in tablet mode as that is how you get the start menu icons in the bottom left and along left edge of screen, to appear on desktop. That strange arrow near the start button is the same, right clicking task bar reveals no task manager as you say, reducing programs doesn't show them on the taskbar, they just disappear. No icons on the taskbar either. Also explains why nothing is showing on desktop as can only have 1 open programs on screen at once.

proof - this is my desktop in tablet mode, only difference is the wallpaper and my start screen has tiles on it
mOk6gNT.jpg

open the action centre - on right side of screen
If tablet mode isn't showing at bottom of screen, choose expand
If tablet mode is...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You are in tablet mode as that is how you get the start menu icons in the bottom left and along left edge of screen, to appear on desktop. That strange arrow near the start button is the same, right clicking task bar reveals no task manager as you say, reducing programs doesn't show them on the taskbar, they just disappear. No icons on the taskbar either. Also explains why nothing is showing on desktop as can only have 1 open programs on screen at once.

proof - this is my desktop in tablet mode, only difference is the wallpaper and my start screen has tiles on it
mOk6gNT.jpg

open the action centre - on right side of screen
If tablet mode isn't showing at bottom of screen, choose expand
If tablet mode is highlighted, just turn it off and see if that fixes it.

Solution

lttlwlf

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Hey Colif, thank you so much for your answer. Unfortunately I didn't see it on time and I fixed the problem by doing a full system restore ! Kind of overkill now that I know what the problem was.

I'm still wondering how my computer could switch to tablet mode when I didn't ask it to do so, and it is a full desktop tower, not a tablet or a laptop, and my screen isn't a touchscreen :p