Dual monitor set up - ports?

Paolo_

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
I have evga gtx 970 and one monitor (dell p2414h), now I want to get a second monitor for dual monitor set up for productivity. Monitor that I want to get is Dell UltraSharp U2515H.
I am interested whether my GPU and motherboard will have all ports that I need. (motherboard - msi z270 gaming 5 +i5 4690k). So I was wondering whether I will need adapters or not and if which ones ?
thank you for reading my post!

Solution

Your current monitor (Dell P2414H) has these input ports: 1x DVI-D | 1x VGA | 1x DP

The monitor you want to get (Dell U2515H) has these input ports: 2x HDMI | 1x mDP | 1x DP

As to your GPU, depending on which specific EVGA GTX 970 you have, most have the following...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
None of the above. With a dedicated gpu, you will not be using the motherboard ports at all, just the ones on the gpu. You'll have a DisplayPort, dvi-i, dvi-d and hdmi port on the gpu. The monitors will have similar such ports. The new monitor will come with a cable, probably DisplayPort, but certainly at least dvi or hdmi. Just plug it into the gpu and monitor. Then you'll need to do 2x things. First is set the monitor input to whatever cable you used, it'll be a button on the monitor itself. The second thing is open up nvidia control panel, select your primary monitor and use the 'extend' for desktop settings. Not duplicate or dedicated. Pretty much it.
With my 970, older VGA monitor and a 24" 1080p, dvi at the gpu is primary, hdmi is secondary output (has to be this way to accommodate the VGA adapter) so at boot, I get all the action on the secondary screen, but at windows start, it gets changed so the 1080p is primary. No big deal, it's a hardware issue. If this happens to you, and bugs you enough, just swap the inputs and cords between the monitors, and that'll fix hardware selections before windows starts.

Your current monitor (Dell P2414H) has these input ports: 1x DVI-D | 1x VGA | 1x DP

The monitor you want to get (Dell U2515H) has these input ports: 2x HDMI | 1x mDP | 1x DP

As to your GPU, depending on which specific EVGA GTX 970 you have, most have the following output ports: 1x DP | 1x HDMI | 1x DVI-D | 1x DVI-I
*Some exceptions to specific EVGA GTX 970 models have 3x DP | 1x HDMI | 1x DVI-D instead.

So, with these above input and output ports, you are all set to connect the dual monitor setup with just using your GPU (instead of mixing the GPU and the motherboard's/CPU's intergrated graphics).

I'd set it up like this:

Dell P2414H [DVI-D port] <-----DVI-D cable-----> [DVI-D port] EVGA GTX 970
Dell U2515H [DP port] <-----DP cable-----> [DP port] EVGA GTX 970

Solution