Looking to learn about cycling, any suggestions?

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
I've set a goal to cycle the TransAmerica trail next year, and need to begin not only training but also learning about how a bicycle works, how to repair it, etc. Does anyone have suggestions of great resources I can utilize? And also, maybe a social platform that cyclists use to find others to go on tours with, since I'll be wanting to go with a couple other people..

Thanks in advance!

Solution

A 'real bike shop' is one that sells primarily bikes.

Too many...

USAFRet

Titan

Cycling is (or used to be) my main secondary thing.

That is an adventurous ride!

Resources? First and foremost, your local bike shop. A real bike shop.

Online...
https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/
League of American Bicyclists
Sheldon Brown (RIP...:( )

How much, and what type of cycling have been doing?

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Is there a distinct way to tell the difference between a real and fake bike shop? Lol.

But uh, I've been road cycling casually for the past couple years, usually just 60 miles a day on the outskirts of a city, a day or two out of the week. I'd like to go on just a few tours before next year, to get some kind of experience with longer distanced cycling conditions and challenges..also, the kinds of equipment I'll need to bring with me.

I do know that I want to camp at national parks, wherever else, instead of a "credit card" way of traveling, so I'm sure that will influence various things when preparing.

I also need to get a bike that's suitable for this trip..

USAFRet

Titan

A 'real bike shop' is one that sells primarily bikes.

Too many people think a sporting goods store counts.
It does not.

But if you're routinely doing 60 miles/day, then no problem. You are absolutely ready for a cross country trip, mostly.

Which bike? whatever you are comfortable with. A road bike, or a converted mountain bike.

For local groups to ride with? That is what your local bike shop is for. They know the local people that do this...often organizing the rides.

Solution

jessty

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
There are tutorial videos in youtube but you can enroll in the nearby cycling school. You can also join amateur cycling groups and have your groupmates teach you with it. cycling is not the hard but it requires patience and discipline. It's good for the body too so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's one of the favorite thing I do during weekends but I don't really have a group. i just cycle around on my own.