using Restore point

Carroll_3

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
I have a W10 OS. I also have a USB Western Digital external HDD, which was drive letter K. The last update from MS changed the Drive letter from K to L. Right clicking on L brings up the usual window where I can change who has access to it and the level of access. I do all that and it doesn't accept the change - "no file was created.". When I left click on it the pop up says "L is not available. Access denied".

Previously the Ex HDD showed in explorer as "My Passport; K". Now a USB stic has that drive letter (K), which, previously was shown as Lexar;L

So my question is, if I use a W10 restore point, does it also restore the external hard drive back to the same point?

Carroll

Colif

Win 11 Master
did it change any other drives as its odd it changed a drive letter of just 1 drive, unless the update was a version update and when you originally installed windows that USB wasn't in the PC. Even then it should have kept the drive letters the same.

It might work if you have a system restore point prior to update. If the update is what I think it was, you may not have a system restore point as version updates remove system restore points prior to their installation.

Carroll_3

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
Everything was present when I went to W10 in late winter. The PC is 5 months old and brand new when I got it. I will check on restore points.

The only other change was, the stick drive, now K, has the former Ext drives letter.

Now, I realize I have left out of my post, the Event tab under Properties/USB device properties, which, has very pertinent info or at least I think it may be. There were 6 events.

Time wise, the events are recorded from oldest to newest (latest).

Device migrated;
Device configured (disk inf);
Device deleted;
Device deleted; (this could be the reason for the change in drive letters)
Device configured (disk inf);
Device started.

Then there's the information window that explains in more detail about each event, which, I didn't attempt to paste on here but will if you wish to see it.

Carroll